posted to rec.boats.paddle.whitewater

Default Effective roof rack security????

YO, so i have a custom rack and want to deploy theft-resistance against
the "causal-theft". since im guessing thats what most boat stealers.
im traveling across country with two brand new boats on my car and i
dont want them yanked.....any do-yer-selfers got some ideas, or just
buy the kryptonite stuff???

dreamteim wrote:
YO, so i have a custom rack and want to deploy theft-resistance against
the "causal-theft". since im guessing thats what most boat stealers.
im traveling across country with two brand new boats on my car and i
dont want them yanked.....any do-yer-selfers got some ideas, or just
buy the kryptonite stuff???

A lot depends on your style of roof rack. I have used a cable with a
lock to attach the boats to the roof rails which are bolted through the
roof of the car:

http://kayaker.nl/kam-w-1.jpg

(Yes, I'm sawing through it, after having forgotten the key 1000 km away
:-) )

If you have a different style of roof rack (which isn't permanently
attached to your car, maybe you can lock all the boats together, or use
another part of the car which can be used to lock something to.

--
Wilko van den Bergh wilkoa t)dse(d o tnl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe

In a previous article, "dreamteim" said:
YO, so i have a custom rack and want to deploy theft-resistance against
the "causal-theft". since im guessing thats what most boat stealers.
im traveling across country with two brand new boats on my car and i
dont want them yanked.....any do-yer-selfers got some ideas, or just
buy the kryptonite stuff???

I just park next to people with better looking kayaks.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
- Donald Knuth