George Pagliarulo

Default Kayaks on a Toyota 4Runner Roof rack

It's freezing here in NH and I'm looking towards Spring. I need some
suggestions for getting a couple of kayaks on the roofrack of my '04
4Runner. On my old vehicle (Explorer) I had a Thule rack with saddles
and roller coasters to carry two kayaks. The roller coasters were
great because I could put the bow of the kayak on the rollers and then
just lift the stern and roll the boat onto the rack. That's not going
to work with the 4Runner because the rear rack cross member is too far
forward and a rear spoiler interferes with the rollers. Anyway, I
like the look of the 4runner factory rack and would hate to have to
replace it with the Thule bars. It is strong enough to carry the two
kayaks with no problem.
I was thinking that maybe I could rest the bow in the "V" created by
the open front door and the body and then lift the stern but that
doesn't look like it will work either.
So, how do people get their kayaks up on their SUVs? Just lifiting
it up on the rack from the side is not an option. Any ideas?
bkr

George Pagliarulo wrote:

[...]

First suggestion, remove the spoiler...it doesn't really do anything
anyway unless you're at high speed (100 mph) in a sports car.

Second, consider using one of the foam pool noodles wrapped around a
broom stick as a roller. Just slap that on the roof behind the rear
crossbar rest the bow of the boat on it and roll it forward. When the
bow reaches the rear crossbar, you can just slide it the rest of the
way. Pad the crossbar with a similar foam pad and push the boat across
it to the front crossbar. Take the pool noodle off when you aren't
actually using it as a roller and store it in the back or under the
seats or something.

bkr

Josh

"bkr" wrote in message
George Pagliarulo wrote:

First suggestion, remove the spoiler...it doesn't really do anything
anyway unless you're at high speed (100 mph) in a sports car.

Actually, what toyota calls a spoiler is actually a wind delefctor, and on
wagons and utility vehicles they're quite useful for deflecting air over the
near vertical rear window/hatch to keep junk from accumulating.

Second, consider using one of the foam pool noodles wrapped around a
broom stick as a roller. Just slap that on the roof behind the rear
crossbar rest the bow of the boat on it and roll it forward. When the
bow reaches the rear crossbar, you can just slide it the rest of the
way. Pad the crossbar with a similar foam pad and push the boat across
it to the front crossbar. Take the pool noodle off when you aren't
actually using it as a roller and store it in the back or under the
seats or something.

bkr

As far as loading a kayak, I use the flip and press method. Works on my Jeep
Cherokee and previously on my Durango. If this isn't an option, you're
limited to the one end at a time method. Check with Thule to see if you can
get brackets mount your current carriers to the factory rack. Or discuss
with Toyota some other options.

Kevin

The "noodle" idea is GREAT. I was wanting a way to "cushion" the top of the
Suburban while loading our Perception Sundance II tandem onto the Thule
racks. We can get it on top easy enough, BUT the insurance would be WELL
worth the purchase of a noodle or two! Thanks!

"bkr" wrote in message
George Pagliarulo wrote:

[...]

Dave Manby

There is a guy over here in the UK who makes fold down racks. You pull
the rack over to the side of your car, 4X4, SUV, or what ever and load
your boats onto the rack (with an upright at the bottom) then lift and
roll the rack into the horizontal position. Look great and works a treat
but I will keep on just walking all over my Ford Transit roof

In message , Kevin
writes

--
Dave Manby
Details of the Coruh river and my book "Many Rivers To Run" at

roger beniot

I have a 2000 4Runner and I use the Yakima hully rollers in the back
and the saddles in the front. I removed the factory rack (the weight
rating for the factory rack was lower then using a yakima rack).
There are yakima towers you can get that will fit in the toyota roof
rack sliders.

I have a light kevlar sea kayak that I can put up by my self but my
wife has no problem putting her boat up (about 55lbs) using the
rollers.

I also have the rear wind deflector... It doesn't interfere with my
setup. I personally wouldn't take it off.

-roger

(George Pagliarulo) wrote in message . com...
[...]

bkr

Josh wrote:

Actually, what toyota calls a spoiler is actually a wind delefctor,

and on
wagons and utility vehicles they're quite useful for deflecting air over the
near vertical rear window/hatch to keep junk from accumulating.

Good to know this. I hadn't ever considered it from that perspective.
Guess I should be more open minded.

bkr