roger beniot

Default Kayaks on a Toyota 4Runner Roof rack

I have a 2000 4Runner and I use the Yakima hully rollers in the back
and the saddles in the front. I removed the factory rack (the weight
rating for the factory rack was lower then using a yakima rack).
There are yakima towers you can get that will fit in the toyota roof
rack sliders.

I have a light kevlar sea kayak that I can put up by my self but my
wife has no problem putting her boat up (about 55lbs) using the
rollers.

I also have the rear wind deflector... It doesn't interfere with my
setup. I personally wouldn't take it off.

-roger

(George Pagliarulo) wrote in message . com...
It's freezing here in NH and I'm looking towards Spring. I need some
suggestions for getting a couple of kayaks on the roofrack of my '04
4Runner. On my old vehicle (Explorer) I had a Thule rack with saddles
and roller coasters to carry two kayaks. The roller coasters were
great because I could put the bow of the kayak on the rollers and then
just lift the stern and roll the boat onto the rack. That's not going
to work with the 4Runner because the rear rack cross member is too far
forward and a rear spoiler interferes with the rollers. Anyway, I
like the look of the 4runner factory rack and would hate to have to
replace it with the Thule bars. It is strong enough to carry the two
kayaks with no problem.
I was thinking that maybe I could rest the bow in the "V" created by
the open front door and the body and then lift the stern but that
doesn't look like it will work either.
So, how do people get their kayaks up on their SUVs? Just lifiting
it up on the rack from the side is not an option. Any ideas?