Josh

Default Kayaks on a Toyota 4Runner Roof rack

"bkr" wrote in message
George Pagliarulo wrote:

First suggestion, remove the spoiler...it doesn't really do anything
anyway unless you're at high speed (100 mph) in a sports car.

Actually, what toyota calls a spoiler is actually a wind delefctor, and on
wagons and utility vehicles they're quite useful for deflecting air over the
near vertical rear window/hatch to keep junk from accumulating.

Second, consider using one of the foam pool noodles wrapped around a
broom stick as a roller. Just slap that on the roof behind the rear
crossbar rest the bow of the boat on it and roll it forward. When the
bow reaches the rear crossbar, you can just slide it the rest of the
way. Pad the crossbar with a similar foam pad and push the boat across
it to the front crossbar. Take the pool noodle off when you aren't
actually using it as a roller and store it in the back or under the
seats or something.

bkr

As far as loading a kayak, I use the flip and press method. Works on my Jeep
Cherokee and previously on my Durango. If this isn't an option, you're
limited to the one end at a time method. Check with Thule to see if you can
get brackets mount your current carriers to the factory rack. Or discuss
with Toyota some other options.