Default Doing a repair to a GRP hull.

Hi,

Some nice person has moored against my boat with a bolt sticking
out of their hull. This has done some damage to approx 1/2 square
foot of my gelcoat and has gone deeper than that in a couple of
places. Fortunately, the damage is approx 14" above the water
line.

I have never repaired GRP before, But I am quite 'handy'
generally :-) Is this a DIY repair option, and if so, would
anyone be good enough to tell me which materials to buy and the
best repair process? I don't even know where to buy the repair
materials! The boat is old and has not got a highly polished
finish. Colour is off-white. I suspect that I will have to
build-up a small amount of fibreglass to fill the deeper part of
the damage.

Alternatively, if this is not a DIY option, can anyone suggest a
mobile repairer near Torbay.

Appreciate any help or advice.

Regards,
Howard.
Dave

Howard,

I was going to suggest marine Gel coat plastic padding but I re-read your
message and 1/2 sq ft is quite a large area.

Suggest you talk to a Chandler, where you can purchase Gel coat filler, or
look in yellow pages for boat repairers in your area.

Sorry I can't help more.

Regards

Dave

wrote in message
[...]

D.P.Round

glasplies of Southport will mail order supply what you need and give
you an instruction pack/good advice. If the damage is down to the glass
you may need to do more than just full the affected area.

Glasplies: 01704 540626

David

--
****** David Round - EMail Tel (01248) 382416 *****