BoatBanter.com

-   UK Power Boats (https://www.boatbanter.com/uk-power-boats/)
-   -   Doing a repair to a GRP hull. (https://www.boatbanter.com/uk-power-boats/13093-doing-repair-grp-hull.html)

[email protected] March 22nd 04 09:42 AM

Doing a repair to a GRP hull.

Hi,

Some nice person has moored against my boat with a bolt sticking
out of their hull. This has done some damage to approx 1/2 square
foot of my gelcoat and has gone deeper than that in a couple of
places. Fortunately, the damage is approx 14" above the water
line.

I have never repaired GRP before, But I am quite 'handy'
generally :-) Is this a DIY repair option, and if so, would
anyone be good enough to tell me which materials to buy and the
best repair process? I don't even know where to buy the repair
materials! The boat is old and has not got a highly polished
finish. Colour is off-white. I suspect that I will have to
build-up a small amount of fibreglass to fill the deeper part of
the damage.

Alternatively, if this is not a DIY option, can anyone suggest a
mobile repairer near Torbay.

Appreciate any help or advice.

Regards,
Howard.

Dave March 22nd 04 11:35 PM

Doing a repair to a GRP hull.

Howard,

I was going to suggest marine Gel coat plastic padding but I re-read your
message and 1/2 sq ft is quite a large area.

Suggest you talk to a Chandler, where you can purchase Gel coat filler, or
look in yellow pages for boat repairers in your area.

Sorry I can't help more.

Regards

Dave

D.P.Round March 23rd 04 02:38 PM

Doing a repair to a GRP hull.

glasplies of Southport will mail order supply what you need and give
you an instruction pack/good advice. If the damage is down to the glass
you may need to do more than just full the affected area.

Glasplies: 01704 540626

David

--
****** David Round - EMail Tel (01248) 382416 *****
*****These are my own views, I represent nobody (Well maybe myself)*****

[email protected] March 24th 04 07:09 PM

Doing a repair to a GRP hull.

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:38:34 +0000 (UTC),
(D.P.Round) wrote:

|glasplies of Southport will mail order supply what you need and give
|you an instruction pack/good advice. If the damage is down to the glass
|you may need to do more than just full the affected area.
|
|Glasplies: 01704 540626
|
|David
Thanks for both replies chaps. I'll look out for the products
and also phone Glasplies in the morning.

H.