Bristan

Default Overheating Yamaha 60

I have a Yamaha 60 FETO which is overheating.
The buzzer goes off after about 5 mins. This happened last time I took the
boat out after a prolonged winter break.
Prior to this trip the motor has been fine.
I suspect a seized thermostat. I don't have a repair manual, but have
changed plenty of automotive thermostats.
Can anyone help with infomation on inspecting the thermostat.? Is it an
easy job?. I have noticed a large side plate on the motor and was thinking
it may be under there as the water stream exits at the bottom.
Thanks in advance
Bristan

OldRedNeck

It's under a small dome shaped cover either on the cylinder head or the top
of the block. Held on by 2 bolts. If it is the gasket type, try to save the
gasket or make a new one. When you have the cover off, remove the stat and
idle the engine for a few seconds to check the water pump and purge the
system

Bristan

"Graham Hope" wrote in message
I have the same engine next to the stat is a larg bolt if you remove this
(only for a second} water should pump out .if it doesnt it could be your

impeller

Thanks for that,
There is still a reasonable water stream coming out of the motor however
a few people have told me that it is probably the impeller.
As it apparently is not expected to last very long.
I have also been told by a local mechanic that it can be very difficult to
get at the impeller if it hasn't been checked regularly.
(everything is frozen on)
regards

"OldRedNeck" wrote in message
It's under a small dome shaped cover either on the cylinder head or the

top
of the block. Held on by 2 bolts. If it is the gasket type, try to save

the
gasket or make a new one. When you have the cover off, remove the stat

and
idle the engine for a few seconds to check the water pump and purge the
system

---

Helene og Lars

Hi Bristan

You should check your impeller...

Lars (DENMARK)

"Bristan" daed skrev i en meddelelse
I have a Yamaha 60 FETO which is overheating.
The buzzer goes off after about 5 mins. This happened last time I took the
boat out after a prolonged winter break.
Prior to this trip the motor has been fine.
I suspect a seized thermostat. I don't have a repair manual, but have
changed plenty of automotive thermostats.
Can anyone help with infomation on inspecting the thermostat.? Is it an
easy job?. I have noticed a large side plate on the motor and was thinking
it may be under there as the water stream exits at the bottom.
Thanks in advance
Bristan

20 foot Key Largo 2000CC, Which Motor, Yamaha 150 2 or 4 cycle, Help. Joe General 2 June 7th 04 02:52 PM
Overheating Yamaha 200 OverHot General 2 October 21st 03 07:24 AM
Overheating Yamaha 60 Bristan General 1 September 27th 03 09:31 AM
Yamaha Outboard Timing help Chris Selwyn-Smith General 4 September 20th 03 01:54 AM
help setting up timing on old yamaha? Chris Selwyn-Smith UK Power Boats 4 September 19th 03 11:08 PM