posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle

Default Apology required from Marathon Committee

This message has been widely circulated and made public because the
Marathon Committee has recently banned Committee members from
discussing Marathon business outside of the meetings. They have also
declared (to themselves, obviously, as they aren't allowed to tell
us!) that, in future, committee minutes are secret and not to be
issued to anyone.

The following is a reply to Christine Laws - ex Race Records Officer -
who has failed to send my Club any communication whatsoever (until
very recently) - no promotion / demotion letters, no newletters, no
information regarding AGMs etc for the last 3 years at least, despite
reminders and our address appearing in BCU documentation and archives.

It is written because of the disgraceful way she dismissed our
secretary's factual statements, rather than accepting her error and
apologising.

In message Christine Laws wrote:

Dear Rita

Thank you for the updated information. This post of Marathon records officer is a volantary one and not part of the BCU HQ Office at Bingham (18 Market Place, Bingham, Nottingham, NG13 8AP) which is where you will need to contact for correction of your Clubs details. When Ealing Club first appeared a few years ago the only contact I had was Ian Bowditch and it is only in the last few months that I have had any other contacts which was given to me by James Smythe.

Christine Laws
MRC Records Officer

Dear Marathon Committee,

A straightforward apology would have been more appropriate.

Despite many reminders in writing and verbally via Marathon Committee
members, we have not, until very recently received ANY letters or
communication from you for at least 3 years. We have no record of any
prior to that, either.

We have never received any 'form' for update of marathon paddlers and
are bemused by the apparent urgency. It seems that your system has
been able to cope perfectly well without any contribution from us in
the past.

You claim in a previous reply to our secretary that Ian Bowditch (whom
you mention above) was our secretary. He is not and never was our
secretary and has never served on our committee. To repeat the
statement made by our secretary: we have never issued you with Ian's
details. Nor has he. He also tells me that he has written to you twice
to have your records amended, and has returned letters that you have
sent to him. Did you not get the point???

With regards to your claim that you have only had 'other contacts in
the last few months' given to you by James Smythe: that is inaccurate
and misleading - it was over a year ago when James pointed out your
errors to you. Further, previous Club secretaries have written to you
giving a clear contact address which have been ignored.

Please note that we are all volunteers here, too, so I don't see the
relevance of the above statement. Regardless, just because a post is
manned by a volunteer does not mean we should expect substandard or
shoddy treatment. WRT your patronising statement about the BCU: this
has absolutely nothing to do with the BCU. It concerns you and the
Marathon Committee. We know the address of the BCU and the BCU have
our address and we are quite capable of corresponding with them
without any assistance from you. We have always received mail from
them and it only took them 30 months to correct a minor detail in our
address.

Allan Bennett
Chairman
Ealing Canoe Club

PS: thanks for your recent email about the most recent Newsletter. Not
particularly fussed, but no newsletter was attached as claimed. So
that's still Newsletter: 0