Michael Hobbs

Default Hailer and VHF for a committee boat

I am asking about something that other sailing clubs must have faced and
solved. Right now the Race Officer has to juggle two microphones, one for
the hailer and one for the VHF for races. It just doesn't work on a a busy
committee boat. Is there a way of using one microphone to activate both the
hailer and a radio, for race announcements?

--

Remove X's to reply
Michael Hobbs

NoOp

Michael Hobbs wrote:

I am asking about something that other sailing clubs must have faced and
solved. Right now the Race Officer has to juggle two microphones, one for
the hailer and one for the VHF for races. It just doesn't work on a a busy
committee boat. Is there a way of using one microphone to activate both the
hailer and a radio, for race announcements?

Many Standard VHF radios (including many of the handhelds like my
HX350S) have a speaker/microphone jack. You might try something like
the Standard 201SW external speaker (about $50). Google on Standard 201W
or go to http://www.standardhorizon.com/ Or check 220SW or 240SW PA horns.

Recommend that you test at the boat store to make sure that it's loud
enough & also that the connectors mate properly -- I've not actually
connected a 201SW to a HX350S.

I also recommend that you use caution when using the radio & hailing at
the same time -- you're likely to get other race and non-race
transmissions/broadcasts over the channel(s), and having the radio
connected to a hailer/speaker could cause confusion to the racing fleet,
not to mention some embarrasing broadcasts not intended for the fleet...

You might also try asking the question over at the rec.boats.electronics
newsgroup (nntp://rec.boats.electronics)

Michael Hobbs

Thanks so much. I have asked this question two years running in this
newsgroup and you are the first to reply.
I forwarded a copy to our Principal Race Officer and we'll see how he
responds.

Michael Hobbs
Minnetonka Yacht Club
Minneapolis, MN

"NoOp" wrote in message
Michael Hobbs wrote:

[...]

Gene Fuller

Hi Michael,

I cannot help with the combination of microphones, but the bigger
question is why this is necessary.

The simple no-cost solution is to DELEGATE. The PRO does not need to do
everything involved in running races. That is why there is normally more
than one person on the committee boat.

You did not state why you need two communication methods, but lets
suppose that the radio is for general announcements, and the hailer is
for calling OCS. Simply assign the task of hailing OCS to another RC
member, perhaps the person calling the line.

I have no idea if your club is low-key or world class. However, if you
do not already have RC experts I highly recommend the US Sailing
publications on race management. Delegation is an important item for
successful race management.

Regards,
Gene Fuller

Michael Hobbs wrote:
I am asking about something that other sailing clubs must have faced and
solved. Right now the Race Officer has to juggle two microphones, one for
the hailer and one for the VHF for races. It just doesn't work on a a busy
committee boat. Is there a way of using one microphone to activate both the
hailer and a radio, for race announcements?

Wim

qte
I highly recommend the US Sailing
publications on race management. Delegation is an important item for
successful race management.
unqte
You can also purchase a fantastic book called "Sail Safe" by Paul Rushton.
Cost about Cdn $25.00
It handles ALL facets of racemanagement in detail :-))
Email for more info.
Paul is the Past Cork Regatta Safety Officer
--
c ya Wim
www.cork.org

"Gene Fuller" wrote in message