Gene Fuller

Default Hailer and VHF for a committee boat

Hi Michael,

I cannot help with the combination of microphones, but the bigger
question is why this is necessary.

The simple no-cost solution is to DELEGATE. The PRO does not need to do
everything involved in running races. That is why there is normally more
than one person on the committee boat.

You did not state why you need two communication methods, but lets
suppose that the radio is for general announcements, and the hailer is
for calling OCS. Simply assign the task of hailing OCS to another RC
member, perhaps the person calling the line.

I have no idea if your club is low-key or world class. However, if you
do not already have RC experts I highly recommend the US Sailing
publications on race management. Delegation is an important item for
successful race management.

Regards,
Gene Fuller

Michael Hobbs wrote:
I am asking about something that other sailing clubs must have faced and
solved. Right now the Race Officer has to juggle two microphones, one for
the hailer and one for the VHF for races. It just doesn't work on a a busy
committee boat. Is there a way of using one microphone to activate both the
hailer and a radio, for race announcements?