Default committee boat

Well, it wasnt so bad being committee boat. A knowedgeable person
showed me how to do the flags for starting. The race was only about an
hour and a half and timing the finish was easy. There were only 6
boats so it was fairly relaxed.
What did surprise me was that a Harmony 22 and J24 beat the bigger
boats (like a Hunter 33). It seemed that both the Harmony and J24
accelerated quickly.

Bryan

wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, it wasnt so bad being committee boat. A knowedgeable person
showed me how to do the flags for starting. The race was only about an
hour and a half and timing the finish was easy. There were only 6
boats so it was fairly relaxed.
What did surprise me was that a Harmony 22 and J24 beat the bigger
boats (like a Hunter 33). It seemed that both the Harmony and J24
accelerated quickly.

The Hunter 33, for example, is a cow fully loaded with milk and the J24 is a
thorougbred ready to go. There are 30 foot boats that are also
thoroughbreds, but the typical phrf racing venue is about getting the day
sailors, weekenders, coastal cruisers out on the water and lightning isn't
the order of the day.

I hope you had a good time hanging out with some good people. Us just for
fun sailboat racers can always use a committee boat. Did they buy your
drinks and lunch/dinner at the club?

It surprised me because they all started at the same time yet the
Harmony 22 and J24 came in ahead of the Hunter another 30' boat and an
Olsen 29. The Harmony was across the start seconds before the start so
had to do a 720 before proceeding yet still beat the bigger boats.