BoatBanter.com

-   -   committee boat (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/48699-committee-boat.html)

[email protected] September 18th 05 06:13 PM

committee boat

Well, it wasnt so bad being committee boat. A knowedgeable person
showed me how to do the flags for starting. The race was only about an
hour and a half and timing the finish was easy. There were only 6
boats so it was fairly relaxed.
What did surprise me was that a Harmony 22 and J24 beat the bigger
boats (like a Hunter 33). It seemed that both the Harmony and J24
accelerated quickly.

Bryan September 18th 05 07:18 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, it wasnt so bad being committee boat. A knowedgeable person
showed me how to do the flags for starting. The race was only about an
hour and a half and timing the finish was easy. There were only 6
boats so it was fairly relaxed.
What did surprise me was that a Harmony 22 and J24 beat the bigger
boats (like a Hunter 33). It seemed that both the Harmony and J24
accelerated quickly.

The Hunter 33, for example, is a cow fully loaded with milk and the J24 is a
thorougbred ready to go. There are 30 foot boats that are also
thoroughbreds, but the typical phrf racing venue is about getting the day
sailors, weekenders, coastal cruisers out on the water and lightning isn't
the order of the day.

I hope you had a good time hanging out with some good people. Us just for
fun sailboat racers can always use a committee boat. Did they buy your
drinks and lunch/dinner at the club?

[email protected] September 19th 05 04:12 PM

It surprised me because they all started at the same time yet the
Harmony 22 and J24 came in ahead of the Hunter another 30' boat and an
Olsen 29. The Harmony was across the start seconds before the start so
had to do a 720 before proceeding yet still beat the bigger boats.

DSK September 20th 05 12:53 PM

wrote:
It surprised me because they all started at the same time yet the
Harmony 22 and J24 came in ahead of the Hunter another 30' boat and an
Olsen 29. The Harmony was across the start seconds before the start so
had to do a 720 before proceeding yet still beat the bigger boats.

THe Olson 29 is supposed to be a pretty fast boat. Was it a light wind race?

And a 720 is not an exoneration for being over the start line early. One
must return *fully* to the pre-start side of the line... there are a
couple of special cases.

Being race committee is fun and a good way to observe other folks
sailing... good way to learn.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King