posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Keith

Default comment to rescue please

steen bondo wrote:

http://kayakparadise.dk/gfx/image006.jpg

With fully laden sea kayaks on a trip, which can be very heavy, I never
try to lift the overturned boat over another to empty it.

I simply right the boat, get the paddler back in and pump out the
cockpit - minimises the time the paddler is in the water and most of the
time there isn't all that much water i nthe cockpit to empty either.

I feel trying to lift heavy boats on a bumpy sea can damage kit and
people!
posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
steen bondo

Hi there,

http://kayakparadise.dk/gfx/image006.jpg

Could I have a few comments to this rescue, please. I'll keep my own
opinion to myself just now. It's supposed to be a roughwater-rescue.

hilsen / regards
--
steen - kajakparadis.dk X filshuse-teltplads.dk
---
posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Peter Clinch

steen bondo wrote:

http://kayakparadise.dk/gfx/image006.jpg

Could I have a few comments to this rescue, please. I'll keep my own
opinion to myself just now. It's supposed to be a roughwater-rescue.

I've done quite a few practises but have never had this one suggested.
The only extent the swimmer climbs onto the rescuers kayak as I've tried
it is as an aide in getting back into their own boat directly. Seems
rather less contrived.

Though we've emptied the boats I take Keith's point about weight. We
don't load the boats before going swimming in the local harbour, so next
time I'll have to see how well it works to just get back in and get
pumping with the rescuer rafter alongside for stability.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch wrote:

http://kayakparadise.dk/gfx/image006.jpg

Seems rather less contrived.

Agree.

My suggestion would be to let the swimmer hang on to his stern (if
needed he can push down). I'd only pull the 'wet' boat about 1/3 up (to
a stable position, leaving 2/3 of the weight on the water.), then I
would let the swimmer climb (ladder) in from his stern. Of course I let
the boat slip gently back into the water - no reason to take it all the
way over.

As you both pointed out, I too find the stress on the boats tremendous!

hilsen / regards
--
steen - kajakparadis.dk X filshuse-teltplads.dk
---
posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
cramersec

The only justification I could see for at least part of this is if the
swimmer is underdressed for the water temperature and needs to get out.
Why they drag a hull--full of water! It doesn't get emptied until step
3-- over the rescuer's lap and why the rescuee couldn't get back in
with the boat in the water, I have no idea.

At first i thought maybe having the swimmer on your deck could help you
pull the boat up if it were loaded, but i don't think even the two of
them could pick up a loaded boat like that. And if weight is the issue,
why not dump it first?

Also looks like a nice way to slice a skirt.

Steve

steen bondo wrote:
Hi there,

http://kayakparadise.dk/gfx/image006.jpg

Could I have a few comments to this rescue, please. I'll keep my own
opinion to myself just now. It's supposed to be a roughwater-rescue.

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
steen bondo

cramersec wrote:

[cut]
Also looks like a nice way to slice a skirt.

Couldn't have said it better.

The rescue is part of a new syllabus here in DK - obviously I don't like
it at all.

hilsen / regards
--
steen - kajakparadis.dk X filshuse-teltplads.dk
---
posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Alan Adams

In message
steen bondo wrote:

cramersec wrote:

[cut]
Also looks like a nice way to slice a skirt.

Couldn't have said it better.

The rescue is part of a new syllabus here in DK - obviously I don't like
it at all.

It's quite an effective rescue done between playboats. It has the
advantage that the swimmer uses his/her legs instead of arms to do
most of the work, so an overweight/understrong swimmer can be reunited
with their boat.

In a playboat, you usually have a flat front deck, which gives a nice
step.

When the swimmer is an adult, it gets interesting, because the
rescuer's boat goes nearly vertical, but the swimmer's boat is then
supported by the water, and the rescue can still be made to work. Key
point is asking the swimmer to use their arms to take some of the
weight off their feet/your boat.

And, yes, you do need a reinforced spraydeck.

hilsen / regards

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire

http://www.nckc.org.uk/
posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Alan Adams

In message . com
"cramersec" wrote:

I really want to see that done, as it's hard to visualize. The front
deck of, just to pick one, the Jackson AllStar is about 18" long (~.5
m.). The boat is 24" wide. Assuming an AllStar rescuing another AllStar
on the deck and skirt, that leaves, what, 6" of the point of the bow to
sit on? I'm afraid my bum is too big.

The swimmer's boat is across the cockpit, not the front deck. This
means there is quite a lot of deck sticking out. The rescruer leans
right back as the swimmer starts to climb onto the rescuer's front
deck, acting as a counterweight.

Also I wasn't clear on that you meant by "the swimmer uses his/her legs
instead of arms to do most of the work". Which work is that? Not the
picking up of several gallons of water plus boat onto the deck, that's
arm work for both of them.

In a conventional rescue the swimnmer pulls themself out of the water
onto their boat using almost entirely arm muscles. Unless the swimmer
happens to be someone who does a lot of kayaking, they don't have the
upper body strength to do that. If they are a kayaker, the need for
rescue is remote.

Next time I'm in the pool, I'll sit on the front of a playboat and see
what happens. Should be fun.

Remember to get the occupier of the boat to lean back. Also remember
the bouyancy provided by the second boat. It is critical to the
success of this form of rescue.

As I might not have said explicitly, the rescuer has to weigh at least
as much as the swimmer, unless the swimmer is very light. It does work
between two children.

Wait, maybe I can see it. Swimmer climbs on deck, making rescue boat
vertical. Both pull swimmer's boat across between them, making a
vertical cross (+). Swimmer falls off backwards, rescuer's boat drops
to flat, leaving swimmer's boat on his deck, upside down and drained.
Might require swimmer to grasp a bow loop with his toes, but it could
work.

Steve

steen bondo wrote:

Alan Adams wrote:

advantage that the swimmer uses his/her legs instead of arms to do
most of the work, so an overweight/understrong swimmer can be reunited
with their boat.

It takes quite a lot of arm-strength to get up on the bow in the first
place that seakayaks doesn't drop their nose like a playboat, under
load. Not to mention the round shape is rather hard to stay on.

It doesn't work too well in old-style general purpose boats for the
same reason - too much front buoyancy, and a round surface.

hilsen / regards

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire

http://www.nckc.org.uk/

Will Laura Bush Comment on 35s5 Interiors Too? Bob Crantz ASA 0 April 3rd 06 12:32 AM
Humpback rescue off the Cal coast Jonathan Ganz ASA 1 December 14th 05 11:53 PM
35s5 to the Rescue! Bob Crantz ASA 1 November 14th 05 02:10 AM
No Comment... P Fritz General 11 October 21st 05 01:30 AM
No Comment... Bert Robbins General 0 October 20th 05 12:23 AM