Charlie

Why not just use the killfile? Block his posts from your newsreader and you
never have to read them again!

Charlie.

"urchaidh" wrote in message
oups.com...
K Offit wrote:
In article .com,
urchaidh
wrote:
Pretentious, moi? Puerile, certainly. But let me assure you that my
indignation is not feigned. You are a cancer on this newsgroup. You
attached yourself to it and killed it.

Steady on, no-one can kill a NG unless you let them!

A lot of people pointed out that Allans repetive posting were annoying
and ask him, with varying degrees of politeness, to stop. He didn't,
they left.

Use google groups and go look for yourself. There was a thriving
paddling community on here before Allan started his incessant postings
on the subject of BCU corruption. Within a year 80-90% of the regular
posters had gone elsewhere, not because the didn't like what Alan had
to say, but because of how often he repeated it. He would pollute every
thread with his rantings. I guess if he stuck to a thread on BCU
corruption, few folk would read it.

Allan has given me some useful advice on this NG over recent years for

which
I am grateful.

Indeed, sounds like he's quite a knowledgeable and experienced paddler.
This group used to be full of them.

I don't mind him airing his views, I may not always agree,
but I would defend his right to free speech.

No one ever objected to Allan airing his views. But he aired them
incessantly, in every thread, until it the signal to noise ratio fell
to almost nothing. There's a big difference between free speech and
SPAM.

It wasn't just few folks who left in the huff. It wasn't, as Allan
whould have you beleive, just a few folks with a personal grudge. It
was the majority of posters who left, most quoting Allan's nonsense as
the reason.

And just think what the alternative would be to a Usenet NG: A

moderated,
web based forum for right thinking canoeists, with adverts on the top of

the
page and any real debate suppressed as it may hurt sales figures.

I don't have to think, as what you describe is pretty much what
happened, though I don't think it's (ussuming you're referring to the
UKRGB) particularly moderated. This newsgroup became so unusable that
most everyone switched to the web forum. Why? Pretty much becasue of
Allan.

Even now, people asking questions in this NG will be directed
elsewhere.

By accusing Allan of having 'killed' the NG you sound like a right drama
queen.

Maybe, but I'm ****ed of. I have a nosey in here every now and again
and it's as dead as ever - it used to be so much fun. I believe Allan
(and his sidekick David Kemper :-)) killed it. The evidence is there
for all to see.

urchaidh

Charlie wrote:
Why not just use the killfile? Block his posts from your newsreader and you
never have to read them again!

I used to, but I'm reduced to google groups these days and I don't
think that's or option here.

I'm on a project with long builds at the moment so have odd times to
engage in a bit of trolling. Three of four years ago I would have
engaged in a bit of paddling chat, but there's not a lot of that going
on here.

I'll get bored again and go away soon.

David Pearson

In message .com,
urchaidh writes

Think long term Allan - if you **** off and leave UKRBP in peace the
numbers will build up again. That way, when you return in, say, five
years time, they'll be lots of people to listen to your rantings rather
than the dozen or so that there are now.

Whilst I agree with the arguments advanced here, I just wanted to log
the (sad) fact that few Internet users are frequenting newsgroups these
days - I know of other groups lamenting a steady decline in activity. So
frankly, I suspect that for many people, pukka websites are what they
expect to find or frequent (and Google's newsgroup access is no real
substitute). I rather suspect that, even without Messrs Bennett and
Kemper, this group would anyway now be a shadow of its original self.
--
David Pearson
Peter Clinch

David Pearson wrote:

Whilst I agree with the arguments advanced here, I just wanted to log
the (sad) fact that few Internet users are frequenting newsgroups these
days - I know of other groups lamenting a steady decline in activity. So
frankly, I suspect that for many people, pukka websites are what they
expect to find or frequent (and Google's newsgroup access is no real
substitute). I rather suspect that, even without Messrs Bennett and
Kemper, this group would anyway now be a shadow of its original self.

uk.rec.climbing is a shadow of its former self for (AFAICT) those
reasons. No particular cancer on the group, folk just drifted off to
web forums (with Work Of Stan user interfaces that aren't a shadow of a
good newsreader).

Others have fared better: uk.rec.cycling continues to thrive and grow,
uk.rec.walking seems to be sustaining very well too.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Keith Meredith

Whilst I agree with the arguments advanced here, I just wanted to log the
(sad) fact that few Internet users are frequenting newsgroups these days -
I know of other groups lamenting a steady decline in activity.

Interestingly, of the few other groups I have time to subscribe to, one
lists 79 unread posts and the others 100+ - I began to subscribe to all at
the same time - only UKRBP has died (effectively) - and Allan and David
don't post to the others...

Keith
(not a fan of obsessive compulsives) ;-)

David Kemper

"Keith Meredith" wrote in message

Whilst I agree with the arguments advanced here, I just wanted to log the
(sad) fact that few Internet users are frequenting newsgroups these
days - I know of other groups lamenting a steady decline in activity.

Interestingly, of the few other groups I have time to subscribe to, one
lists 79 unread posts and the others 100+ - I began to subscribe to all at
the same time - only UKRBP has died (effectively) - and Allan and David
don't post to the others...

Keith
(not a fan of obsessive compulsives) ;-)

It seems we still have a few lurkers reading even if they pretend to have
gone away.

Most other groups don't hold much interest for me, Keith.
Paddling does. My kids paddle. I paddle. I'm involved with flat water
competition paddling.
I know most of the people in charge of competition paddling in the UK. I see
what they get up to. I don't like what I see.
I don't like the way money from outside has corrupted our sport. The money
has become the focus rather than the participants.
I don't like child abuse, especially in sports my kids are involved with,
being covered up and effectively condoned.

I lurk at several other groups, mainly transport related, but rarely post
anything as I don't have the involvement or the inclination.

To address your actual complaint; I'm very busy with work ATM, but if you
let me know which groups you hang out at, I may see what I can do for you.
:~)

David,
Not a fan of slow readers.

Ewan Scott

[...]

I think that you would have to try very hard to exceed the vitriole that has
arisen from time to time on uk.rec.scouting, and it still thrives :-)

Ewan Scott

David Kemper

"Ewan Scott" wrote in message

I think that you would have to try very hard to exceed the vitriole that
has
arisen from time to time on uk.rec.scouting, and it still thrives :-)

Ewan Scott

Yeah, but you have to _be prepared_ for that sort of thing if you're a
Scout, don't you?

David
Not a fan of vitriol

David Kemper

"Charlie" wrote in message
Why not just use the killfile? Block his posts from your newsreader and
you
never have to read them again!

True, neither Allan or I morph our identities.

David
Not a fan of split personalities.

David Kemper

"urchaidh" wrote in message
oups.com...
Charlie wrote:
Why not just use the killfile? Block his posts from your newsreader and
you
never have to read them again!

I used to, but I'm reduced to google groups these days and I don't
think that's or option here.

I'm on a project with long builds at the moment so have odd times to
engage in a bit of trolling. Three of four years ago I would have
engaged in a bit of paddling chat, but there's not a lot of that going
on here.

Could that be because whenever some paddling chat starts, someone pops up to
suggest the poster moves (the conversation) to UKRGB?
On one hand people are encouraged not to post here, while on the other hand
people complain because the number of posts has declined.
If you want a vibrant group you need to make it so.

I'll get bored again and go away soon.

Bye then, don't slam the door on the way out.

David
Not a fan of google groups.

Canoe & Dog Train among Cree & Salteux 1892 FA [email protected] General 0 June 13th 04 02:06 AM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Toss your Spanish Olives overboard! Capt.American ASA 20 April 6th 04 06:56 PM