Darren

Default Newbie River Access info

Hi'

can anyone help me? Just a couple of questions.
im new to to kayaking and just wondering what a good newbie river
would be to go on? i live in the northwest so anywhere fairly close
e.g. midlands, northwest and north wales. Also can you give me an
idea of what rivers in the uk have a 'right of navigation'. Ive heard
the Wye & Lugg do, is the true? Also can anyone recommend a good river
guide book for a beginner? Thanks for your help

Darren
Peter

"Darren" wrote in message
m...
Hi'

can anyone help me? Just a couple of questions.
im new to to kayaking and just wondering what a good newbie river
would be to go on? i live in the northwest so anywhere fairly close
e.g. midlands, northwest and north wales. Also can you give me an
idea of what rivers in the uk have a 'right of navigation'. Ive heard
the Wye & Lugg do, is the true? Also can anyone recommend a good river
guide book for a beginner? Thanks for your help

Darren

Try the website..

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/

And the books

English Whitewater (might not be quite what you are after)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...eukriversguide

The Welsh Rivers
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...eukriversguide

HTH

Peter

--
Add "bypass" to subject line to email this address. All others rejected.

Mike Taylor

Darren,
Don't go by yourself!!!!
Best to go with an experienced friend, preferably one who knows the river.
Mike in Canada

"Darren" wrote in message
m...
Hi'

can anyone help me? Just a couple of questions.
im new to to kayaking and just wondering what a good newbie river
would be to go on? i live in the northwest so anywhere fairly close
e.g. midlands, northwest and north wales. Also can you give me an
idea of what rivers in the uk have a 'right of navigation'. Ive heard
the Wye & Lugg do, is the true? Also can anyone recommend a good river
guide book for a beginner? Thanks for your help

Darren

Ewan Scott

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 20:37:57 GMT, "Mike Taylor"
wrote:

Darren,
Don't go by yourself!!!!
Best to go with an experienced friend, preferably one who knows the river.
Mike in Canada

I was just thinking this. Join a local club. The BCU has a list of
clubs available on its website www.bcu.org.uk

I'm a three star paddler and an L2 Coach but when I started paddling
on moving water the way in which the river can affect the boat took me
by surprise even though I knew all the theory.

Go join a club, train in the basics and if you must do rivers from the
get go, make sure you go with experienced paddlers - preferably with
people who REALLY know what to do if someone gets into difficulty. By
the time you are pinned , head under water, it is too late to discover
your paddling mates have no idea how to save you.

Ewan Scott

http://www.claytonwestscouts.org.uk
Jim Wallis

A right to navigate a river does not mean there is a right to get access
to it.

As a beginner you really shouldn't paddle alone, join a proper club,
preferably a BCU affiliated one. Learn from the club coaches in pool
sessions and go on club organised trips and learn from the people you
meet which local rivers you can do.

When you have more experience and start to organise trips for others you
will need access to more information, there is a wealth of it in the
guides mentioned, and the BCU has access advisors you can contact for
more information. There are lots of different views on access and the
best way to find out what to do is to paddle with your local club where
people know what they can run, when etc.

I mention the BCU above, many people feel they do not do enough to
secure access for us, I do feel that some of the information they have
is useful, and I would therefore recommend joining an affiliated club,
but not necessarily joining as an individual member until you know more
about it.

JIM