Ted Shoemaker

Default newbie questions about Mississippi river boat trip

Hello,

My hope is that in a couple of years, I can take my family down
the Mississippi River, from Minnesota to the Gulf. (Or,
alternatively, starting from a tributary such as the Ohio River
or the Missouri River, and ending at the Gulf.)

This is, for me, very ambitious. I have NO KNOWLEDGE of
how to do this, so I need to start researching long ahead of time.
At this point, I have no boat, no boating skills, etc. For that
matter, some health issues stand in the way, but we hope that
will change . . .
In order to make this work (and prevent a disaster), I need to
prepare well ahead of time.

Those of you who know what you're doing -- What do you recommend?
All replies will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Ted Shoemaker

John Beaderstadt

I was reading in the bathroom when I ran across an item written by
(Ted Shoemaker) on 8 Jul 2003 20:17:19 -0700,
which said:

My hope is that in a couple of years, I can take my family down
the Mississippi River, from Minnesota to the Gulf. (Or,
alternatively, starting from a tributary such as the Ohio River
or the Missouri River, and ending at the Gulf.)

This is, for me, very ambitious. I have NO KNOWLEDGE of
how to do this, so I need to start researching long ahead of time.
At this point, I have no boat, no boating skills, etc. For that
matter, some health issues stand in the way, but we hope that
will change . . .
In order to make this work (and prevent a disaster), I need to
prepare well ahead of time.

Why do it the hard way, especially if health is a concern. Try this:
http://www.smallshipcruises.com/dest...sissippi.shtml

Also, seems to me that an obvious read would be Mark Twain's "Life on
the Mississippi." I doubt that, for a do-it-yourselfer, much has
changed since Sam's day.

-------------
Beady's Analogy: "A conspiracy theory is the intellectual equivalent of a Rube Goldberg machine; it is an overly-complex and dramatic alternative for an accepted adequate, simpler and more mundane explanation."
Hatunen

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 16:06:35 GMT, Dick Locke
wrote:

I considered it once, but read that the lower Mississippi is so
industrialized and inhospitable to small boats that most people cut
off it at the Tennessee River.

That's a pretty neat trick since the Tennessee River has no
confluence with the Mississippi.

John Beaderstadt

I was reading in the bathroom when I ran across an item written by
Hatunen on Wed, 09 Jul 2003 11:01:28 -0600, which

wrote:

I considered it once, but read that the lower Mississippi is so
industrialized and inhospitable to small boats that most people cut
off it at the Tennessee River.

That's a pretty neat trick since the Tennessee River has no
confluence with the Mississippi.

And your point is...?

I think the rest of us are capable of understanding Dick's meaning.

-------------
Beady's Analogy: "A conspiracy theory is the intellectual equivalent of a Rube Goldberg machine; it is an overly-complex and dramatic alternative for an accepted adequate, simpler and more mundane explanation."
Dick Locke

wrote:

I considered it once, but read that the lower Mississippi is so
industrialized and inhospitable to small boats that most people cut
off it at the Tennessee River.

That's a pretty neat trick since the Tennessee River has no
confluence with the Mississippi.

mea culpa, I guess you have to go up the Ohio to the Tennessee? No
atlas nearby...not completely sure I spelled Tennessee right.
Shashay Doofray

Ted Shoemaker wrote in message
om...
Hello,

My hope is that in a couple of years, I can take my family down
the Mississippi River, from Minnesota to the Gulf. (Or,
alternatively, starting from a tributary such as the Ohio River
or the Missouri River, and ending at the Gulf.)

This is, for me, very ambitious. I have NO KNOWLEDGE of
how to do this, so I need to start researching long ahead of time.
At this point, I have no boat, no boating skills, etc. For that
matter, some health issues stand in the way, but we hope that
will change . . .
In order to make this work (and prevent a disaster), I need to
prepare well ahead of time.

Those of you who know what you're doing -- What do you recommend?
All replies will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Ted Shoemaker

I would suggest Riverbarge Excursions. They have lovely, air conditioned
rooms, good food (and plenty of it), and you can see everything that you
could see on your own boat and don't risk falling overboard. (Unless of
course you have a particularly rowdy night of partying). Try it you'll like
it.

SD

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 11:10:09 GMT, John Beaderstadt
wrote:

Also, seems to me that an obvious read would be Mark Twain's "Life on
the Mississippi." I doubt that, for a do-it-yourselfer, much has
changed since Sam's day.

There were no dams back when.

Casady

A Commodores Meanderings RGrew176 General 1 July 22nd 04 10:47 AM
Boat fell off trailer bb General 31 January 27th 04 10:22 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 04:23 PM
newbie wants to suspend boat Chris Hunt Boat Building 4 September 9th 03 02:58 PM
2 newbie questions... A.C. General 3 September 6th 03 08:46 AM