posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

Default Shoulder injury during roll

A recent topic discussed the injury prone high brace. I recently
learned to roll doing the Pawlata or extended sweep roll. After
practice sessions involving up to a dozen rolls my right shoulder
really hurts. The set up under water is exactly the position everyone
warns against in the high brace: arms extended over the head elbows
above shoulder etc. So what gives- how do you protect your shoulder
during the roll? And no I don't think I can learn a hand roll anytime
soon! Any advise is appreciated.

Gene Cosloy

Gene Cosloy wrote:
A recent topic discussed the injury prone high brace. I recently
learned to roll doing the Pawlata or extended sweep roll. After
practice sessions involving up to a dozen rolls my right shoulder
really hurts. The set up under water is exactly the position everyone
warns against in the high brace: arms extended over the head elbows
above shoulder etc. So what gives- how do you protect your shoulder
during the roll? And no I don't think I can learn a hand roll anytime
soon! Any advise is appreciated.

Gene Cosloy

From what I have heard there are so many different rolls you simply

find one
that doesn't hurt and avoid the ones that do.

Gene Cosloy wrote:
A recent topic discussed the injury prone high brace. I recently
learned to roll doing the Pawlata or extended sweep roll. After
practice sessions involving up to a dozen rolls my right shoulder
really hurts. The set up under water is exactly the position everyone
warns against in the high brace: arms extended over the head elbows
above shoulder etc. So what gives- how do you protect your shoulder
during the roll? And no I don't think I can learn a hand roll anytime
soon! Any advise is appreciated.

Gene Cosloy

If your shoulder is getting sore, it's an indication that you're doing
something wrong. My guess would be that you're probably rushing the roll
and/or coming up head first. The stress on your shoulder comes from
pulling the paddle across the water too fast and pulling downward too hard.

A properly executed extended paddle roll requires very little effort.
Especially with a good layback, you should roll up almost effortlessly.
One downside of extended paddle rolls is that they give you enough
leverage to roll even with poor technique. I suggest the following:

1- Slow down. Try rolling as slowly as you can, concentrating on good
form and laying back as much as possible. The paddle should glide
smoothly along the surface (or just beneath it) and you should end up
lying on the aft deck facing the sky.

2- Have someone watch you to make sure that you're not rushing, coming
up head first or sitting up too quickly.
posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

You do have to extend your arms to roll, but as Brian said, there should
not be much force on them. I'd add to his suggestions concentrating on
your hips. A roll should be mostly a hip snap. The sweep just gives
you a little purchase on the water to allow you to pull your hips
underneath you. If you are trying to pull yourself up with your arms,
you are putting too much force on them. And it does not work well anyway.

Another thing you might try is stretching before you paddle, if you
don't already. I used to get some pain rolling after I had shoulder
surgery, and I was able to get rid of most of it with one set of
stretches before starting. Lie flat on your back, with a short stick
(or your paddle, if you have room) between your hands. SLOWLY pull your
hands back over your head toward the ground, and hold them when you get
as far as you can comfortably. Repeat it a few times, and you will find
your arms comfortably extending further each time.

If you have already inflamed the joint, you will have to let it calm down.

Brian Nystrom wrote:
If your shoulder is getting sore, it's an indication that you're doing
something wrong. My guess would be that you're probably rushing the roll
and/or coming up head first. The stress on your shoulder comes from
pulling the paddle across the water too fast and pulling downward too hard.
One downside of extended paddle rolls is that they give you enough
leverage to roll even with poor technique.

Brian I think you're right. One thing I noticed about this roll is that
unlike other rolls failure doesn't require a swim, just a sore
shoulder!
Gene

Dan Koretz wrote:
Another thing you might try is stretching before you paddle, if you

don't already. I used to get some pain rolling after I had shoulder
surgery, and I was able to get rid of most of it with one set of
stretches before starting. Lie flat on your back, with a short stick
(or your paddle, if you have room) between your hands. SLOWLY pull your
hands back over your head toward the ground, and hold them when you get
as far as you can comfortably. Repeat it a few times, and you will find
your arms comfortably extending further each time.

If you have already inflamed the joint, you will have to let it calm down.

Thanks for the advise Dan. I've already started exercises for rotator
cuff discomfort and after several weeks feel a lot better. Of course I
have also quit practicing my stressful roll as well. When I go back I
will definitely try to slow down and eschew any pulling or pressure on
the paddle. My hip snap and layback is fine and can be practiced
independently with an inflated paddle float in my hands which
simulates the paddle movement, provides boyancy, but doesn't stress the
arms.
Gene

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

When you're hip snapping up on a roll from your arm being extended out, try
to bring your elbow in like you're going to squeeze something in your arm
pit keeping the elbow low as close to the side of your body as best you can.
That will help from the paddle getting too far extended out which puts alot
of the weight on your shoulder.

Courtney

oups.com...