posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
Gene Cosloy Gene Cosloy is offline

Default Shoulder injury during roll

Dan Koretz wrote:
Another thing you might try is stretching before you paddle, if you

don't already. I used to get some pain rolling after I had shoulder
surgery, and I was able to get rid of most of it with one set of
stretches before starting. Lie flat on your back, with a short stick
(or your paddle, if you have room) between your hands. SLOWLY pull your
hands back over your head toward the ground, and hold them when you get
as far as you can comfortably. Repeat it a few times, and you will find
your arms comfortably extending further each time.

If you have already inflamed the joint, you will have to let it calm down.

Thanks for the advise Dan. I've already started exercises for rotator
cuff discomfort and after several weeks feel a lot better. Of course I
have also quit practicing my stressful roll as well. When I go back I
will definitely try to slow down and eschew any pulling or pressure on
the paddle. My hip snap and layback is fine and can be practiced
independently with an inflated paddle float in my hands which
simulates the paddle movement, provides boyancy, but doesn't stress the
arms.
Gene