Jim Flom

Default borrowers and lenders

I borrowed a friend's canoe for an eight day canoe trip (Bowron Lakes, BC --
it was great). Upon returning we discovered a nickel-sized crack/hole on
one end (above water line). I told the guy beforehand and I mean it that I
would accept responsibility for any damage.

We both know a guy who does fiberglass work who says he can fix it up just
fine.
However, the owner of the canoe wants to return it to the manufacturer (less
than an hour away) and get it professionally done, sanded, painted,
rebuffed, etc., to the tune of $220 or so. The canoe is at least ten years
old, and is in good shape but hardly pristine. He got it for free.

I'm having a hard time reconciling to covering such an expensive repair on
an older canoe in this situation. What's the right thing to do here?

He did offer to sell it before we even left for $800 Canadian. It's a 16'
fiberglass Clipper Ranger. I haven't done the work yet to see if that's a
good price, but it seems on the high side. New ones can be had for $1180
(CAD).

What do people think?

JF

Noone

Jim Flom wrote:

[...]

This is what makes borrowing from friends so difficult. Money often changes the
dynamic between people. So does busted property.

One approach is to ask what is the value of the friendship. But that ignores
that fact that structure of the friendship got modified. You will feel you are
being taken advantage of if you go for the factory repair. He will feel he is
being asked to make an unwarranted sacrifice if he has to settle for anything
less. After all, the canoe was whole before you borrowed it.

If you pay the $ 220 and call it an expensive lesson, you will not feel the same
about the relationship. Unless you are very forgiving, you will feel some
resentment. In addition to being out $ 220, you will in effect distance
yourself from this person and lose the friendship.

If you decide to pay nothing, you will immediately lose the friendship. You
save $ 220 bucks, but now will have earned a less than noble reputation for not
honoring your commitments, something that an extra $ 220 could never buy back.

The issue is the amount of the money. If you both focus on the money, then it
will be hard to reach an equitable solution. He really does need to feel good
about the quality of repair on his canoe. You think that is too expensive a
solution.

Solutions:

1) You might be able to negogiate a better price with the manufacturer for the
repair. Do all of the transportation yourself, etc. Maybe barter a skill (Set
up PC's, unload trucks for a day, etc).

2) Explain to him the quandry you find yourself in. Tell him you value the
friendship. Propose the non factory repair and then ask if there is anything you
could do for him to help make up the difference. (Help him re-shingle his roof,
etc)

3) Offer to buy the canoe for $ 800 less the $ 220 price of the repair (then
have the fiberglass guy do the repair). Even though the economic logic here is
flawed, it is workable because it addresses more than monetary issues. The
canoe has less perceived value. And you eliminate the aggravation factor: You
save him from being reminded of his mistake in judgement every time he looks at
the canoe. You just have to want a canoe, have an extra $580 , which if you
follow the logic, is not the case, because you borrowed a canoe in the first
place.

I would go for #1. If that is not possible, then pay the $ 220 and do the
factor repair (you still do the legwork), and accept that fact that you made a
costly decision which lost you a friend.

Blakely

---
Blakely LaCroix
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
r.b.p clique # 86.

"The best adventure is yet to come"

Mungo Bulge

What's the right thing to do here? I'd take it to the factory and have
the hole fixed. Two hundred bucks is a small price to pay for the
knowledge of what your "friend" is like. Then go find a better class
of friend. I can understand your friend wanting the canoe back in the
same condition as it left, but factory refinish is going to restore
the canoe to like new on the colour side.
I would also suspect that it is covered under your friend household
effects insurance, or yours.

"Noone" wrote in message

> [...]
logic here is
| flawed, it is workable because it addresses more than monetary
issues. The
| canoe has less perceived value. And you eliminate the aggravation
factor: You
| save him from being reminded of his mistake in judgement every time
he looks at
| the canoe. You just have to want a canoe, have an extra $580 , which
if you
| follow the logic, is not the case, because you borrowed a canoe in
the first
| place.
|
| I would go for #1. If that is not possible, then pay the $ 220 and
do the
| factor repair (you still do the legwork), and accept that fact that
you made a
| costly decision which lost you a friend.

Keenan & Julie

in article , Mungo Bulge at
wrote on 7/18/05 8:25 PM:

What's the right thing to do here? I'd take it to the factory and have
the hole fixed. Two hundred bucks is a small price to pay for the
knowledge of what your "friend" is like. Then go find a better class
of friend. I can understand your friend wanting the canoe back in the
same condition as it left, but factory refinish is going to restore
the canoe to like new on the colour side.
I would also suspect that it is covered under your friend household
effects insurance, or yours.

I doubt if it would be worth going through insurance for such a small
amount. I'd pay the $220, and going by the story as you tell it, I think
this would be one friend where I'd put an end to borrowing.

Keenan

"Noone" wrote in message

> [...]
logic here is
| flawed, it is workable because it addresses more than monetary
issues. The
| canoe has less perceived value. And you eliminate the aggravation
factor: You
| save him from being reminded of his mistake in judgement every time
he looks at
| the canoe. You just have to want a canoe, have an extra $580 , which
if you
| follow the logic, is not the case, because you borrowed a canoe in
the first
| place.
|
| I would go for #1. If that is not possible, then pay the $ 220 and
do the
| factor repair (you still do the legwork), and accept that fact that
you made a
| costly decision which lost you a friend.

You got an eight day rental of a canoe for $220.00 The boat took a
ding.
If that was a rental you would pay the rental and the agencie would
have your card and you would pay the repair, likely at a reduced rate
but you would pay it.
After having the boat for more than a week, damaging it and questioning
the repair I would be inclined to wonder where I am coming from if I
was the borrower.
You are grudging giving your friend a shiny boat back after damaging
it.
I get to borrow a government truck for a youth group i am involved
with. When I bring it back it is washed, vacuumed, the oil is checked
and it is filled. ( Government Gas )
I would fix it graciously and hope my buddy does not see this
posting...
Alex McGruer

Jim Flom

wrote in message
ups.com...
You got an eight day rental of a canoe for $220.00 The boat took a
ding.
If that was a rental you would pay the rental and the agencie would
have your card and you would pay the repair, likely at a reduced rate
but you would pay it.
After having the boat for more than a week, damaging it and questioning
the repair I would be inclined to wonder where I am coming from if I
was the borrower.
You are grudging giving your friend a shiny boat back after damaging
it.
I get to borrow a government truck for a youth group i am involved
with. When I bring it back it is washed, vacuumed, the oil is checked
and it is filled. ( Government Gas )

Congratulations, Alex. Want to house-sit my pets next month? Not that I
have anything to prove to you, but another friend invited me to use his 4x4
since mine is a one car family and he was out of the country anyway. When I
returned it, it was washed, vacuumed, the oil was checked, and it was filled
(Chevron).

Not sure why you'd suggest that I engage in some soul searching in order to
figure out where I'm coming from, or state that I returned his canoe in a
grudging manner, and then go on to tell me I should hope said buddy doesn't
see my post. I'm sure it's an oversight, but if you read my original post
carefully, you'll see that I accept responsibility for any damage, and that
I am simply assessing the propriety of covering such an expensive repair on
this older canoe.

Thanks to others who have offered their input. Seems like the right thing
to do is suck it up, and quietly cover the guy's reasonable repair costs as
he sees it (even if I disagree). I'm going to look into my insurance (good
idea), but I bet the deductible exceeds the cost of the repair.

Go easy on that youth group Alex.

JF

Keenan & Julie

"Jim Flom " wrote in message
newsU0De.121785$HI.44270@edtnps84...
wrote in message

Thanks to others who have offered their input. Seems like the right thing
to do is suck it up, and quietly cover the guy's reasonable repair costs
as he sees it (even if I disagree). I'm going to look into my insurance
(good idea), but I bet the deductible exceeds the cost of the repair.

And if he ever damages anything of yours, there won't be any question as to
whether or not he should cough it up for the higher estimate :-)

BCITORGB

Ideally, here's what would have happened:

1) Since you damaged his property, you feel so bad about it that you
offer to have it repaired at the expensive option (guilt should do that
to you).

2) Your friend is a bit embarassed (and flattered) by the fact that you
think so highly of the friendship that you would opt for the expensive
repair option. At this point guilt kicks in for him and he suggests:
"No, I could ever let you spend that much money; it was just an old
canoe. Why don't we just do it at a more reasonable price."

Guilt is great.

KMAN

"BCITORGB" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ideally, here's what would have happened:

1) Since you damaged his property, you feel so bad about it that you
offer to have it repaired at the expensive option (guilt should do that
to you).

2) Your friend is a bit embarassed (and flattered) by the fact that you
think so highly of the friendship that you would opt for the expensive
repair option. At this point guilt kicks in for him and he suggests:
"No, I could ever let you spend that much money; it was just an old
canoe. Why don't we just do it at a more reasonable price."

Guilt is great.

What're you suggesting...that managin friendships requires manipulation? ;-)

Jim Flom

"KMAN" wrote ...

"BCITORGB" wrote ...

Guilt is great.

What're you suggesting...that managin friendships requires manipulation?
;-)

I think BCITORGBXYZ must be Catholic. ;-)