Jim Flom

wrote in message
ups.com...
You got an eight day rental of a canoe for $220.00 The boat took a
ding.
If that was a rental you would pay the rental and the agencie would
have your card and you would pay the repair, likely at a reduced rate
but you would pay it.
After having the boat for more than a week, damaging it and questioning
the repair I would be inclined to wonder where I am coming from if I
was the borrower.
You are grudging giving your friend a shiny boat back after damaging
it.
I get to borrow a government truck for a youth group i am involved
with. When I bring it back it is washed, vacuumed, the oil is checked
and it is filled. ( Government Gas )

Congratulations, Alex. Want to house-sit my pets next month? Not that I
have anything to prove to you, but another friend invited me to use his 4x4
since mine is a one car family and he was out of the country anyway. When I
returned it, it was washed, vacuumed, the oil was checked, and it was filled
(Chevron).

Not sure why you'd suggest that I engage in some soul searching in order to
figure out where I'm coming from, or state that I returned his canoe in a
grudging manner, and then go on to tell me I should hope said buddy doesn't
see my post. I'm sure it's an oversight, but if you read my original post
carefully, you'll see that I accept responsibility for any damage, and that
I am simply assessing the propriety of covering such an expensive repair on
this older canoe.

Thanks to others who have offered their input. Seems like the right thing
to do is suck it up, and quietly cover the guy's reasonable repair costs as
he sees it (even if I disagree). I'm going to look into my insurance (good
idea), but I bet the deductible exceeds the cost of the repair.

Go easy on that youth group Alex.

JF