Don Freeman

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Fred Klingener" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
You can't have your kayak and heat it too.

Was this whole thread a setup?

Only my part.

Your timing was impeccable, and the way you played the hook...
---
Don
www.cosmoslair.com

Gogarty wrote:

The coal won't keep burning without the forced draft and the charcoal. The
firebox is pretty small. The CO monitor is also close to hand and active.
We are not running a sealed room here -- lots of fresh air coming in and a
bulkhead fan to circuilate the warmed air.

I know you are no dummy, but there inherent problems/dangers with
forced draught & coal, some of which lead to induced draught operation
in marine boilers. Doesn't take much of a gas leak to spoil your day.
Another F/D issue is higher explosion potential. Much of this (and the
rest) is long forgotten.

Burning coal today is often problematic as you describe (i.e, both
draught requirements & co-fuels needed). Coal commonly available today
isn't quite what it was in quality when it was a major home heating
fuel & very competitively marketed, nor are typical flues as tall or
grates as well designed for it. You'll find a higher percentage of
unburned fuel & clinker after firing today's coal in today's
appliances. It's also pretty expensive now, & none if its mess has
gone away.

You are right that charcoal briquettes are usually crap in a stove.
Coke would be much better if obtainable.

We are especially mindful of the hazards of CO since two people died at our
marina two years ago when they left the engine running to run the
airconditioner.

Cool way to die (not).

BTW, what is the present safety concensus about keeping E/R exhaust
running to insure negative pressure during motoring on yachts?

Thomas D. Ireland

Thanks for this, it is a good read. The jokes weren't that good though!
:-). I was thinking of doing the same thing. Had some bad experiences with
gas and I don't trust diesel either (it costs money :-))

Tom

dh@. wrote:
: Hi,

: I have a houseboat that I'd like to take out some this
: winter, and I'd like to have a small wood stove to use
: in it. All the small wood stoves I've been able to find
: have been camping related, so I'm asking for advice
: in camping groups as well as boating groups. Can
: anyone suggest any stove(s) that they feel are good
: and affordable, and any suggestions about use etc?

: Thanks for any help!
: David

: PS in case anyone is interested in what I've found
: so far, or wants proof that I've done some looking
: on my own as well as asking for people to share
: what they've learned, here is a list of some related
: websites:

: http://www.calarmy.com/tents/
: http://www.kni-co.com/
: http://tinyurl.com/9pbxv
: http://www.aaoobfoods.com/shepherdstoves.htm#2%20DX
: http://davistent.com/davisTent/html/WoodStoves.html
: http://www.cylinderstoves.com/defram...ovepricing.htm
: http://www.walltentshop.com/CatStoves.html
: http://www.fourdog.com/page2.html
: http://www.army-technology.com/contr...manufacturing/

wood stove questions dh@. General 22 July 24th 05 07:31 AM
wood stove questions dh@. Boat Building 22 July 24th 05 07:31 AM
wood stove questions dh@. Cruising 21 July 24th 05 07:31 AM
Questions about Fiberglassing Wood - OurBoat.jpg (0/1) Jason Boat Building 10 June 11th 04 05:28 PM
Steam bending basics?? steamer Boat Building 11 August 28th 03 04:29 PM