Gogarty

In article .com,
says...

Gogarty wrote:

We
eventually settled on a mix of real charcoal (avoid briquettes like the
plague -- what's in those things anyway?) and pea size anthracite coal.
We had to install a fan on the front of the ash drawer to provide a
forced draft to keep the coal burning.

Try larger coal - less draught restriction - and always coal that is
rounded not broken & flattened in shape (same reason & getting harder
to find). Either way it sounds like a dangerous idea; coal gas with
the inadequate natural draught from a short boat stack offers deadly
possiblitites.

The coal won't keep burning without the forced draft and the charcoal. The
firebox is pretty small. The CO monitor is also close to hand and active.
We are not running a sealed room here -- lots of fresh air coming in and a
bulkhead fan to circuilate the warmed air.

We are especially mindful of the hazards of CO since two people died at our
marina two years ago when they left the engine running to run the
airconditioner.