Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Keenan & Julie

in article , BCITORGB
at
wrote on 6/15/05 1:07 PM:

Over the course of a few years of renting kayaks, I have always been
instructed that the best way to enter and launch is by way using my
paddle as an outrigger, across the back of the cockpit. I've accepted
this as gospel. Now I've come across a very informative website that
takes a contrary view.

========================
At
http://www.seapaddler.co.uk/Launchin...%20Landing.htm

One of the most common sights is of sea kayakers using their paddles as
outriggers, across the back of the cockpit, to steady their entry into
the kayak. The process is often reversed at the end of the day. This
is a practice, which should be avoided if at all possible. Sea kayak
paddles are not generally constructed to withstand the same pressures
as white water blades and it is possible therefore for the junction
between the blade and the shaft to be weakened and eventually break.
If this is during the course of a multi-day trip then the expression
"inconvenient" is somewhat of an understatement.
====================

What are the opinions of the experts here?

Expert shmeckshpert. How many people have you ever heard of breaking a
paddle in this way? There are obviously lots of different methods for entry
and exit, but I don't think paddle damage is a very legit reason for
abandoning this particular method.

Keenan

Launching Boats with an ATV Jim R James General 3 January 25th 05 01:33 AM
Zodia Launching wheels? GarryG General 1 June 6th 04 03:19 PM
Green River Desolation Canyon launching June 16 Mark General 0 April 27th 04 10:37 PM
Commissioning vs launching ceremony/party Glenn Ashmore Boat Building 5 December 14th 03 04:16 PM
Newbie launching question James W ASA 1 July 8th 03 02:35 PM