Jim R James

Default Launching Boats with an ATV

Hi guys,

Does anyone have experience (good or bad) with launching boats with an ATV?
I just got a new car and I thought that instead of installing a trailer
hitch on my car I would like to get an ATV with a trailer hitch to launch my
boats. (besides it's a good excuse to get a new toy!!)

It's at my cottage and the launch is on my own property, so I do not have to
go very far to launch the boats, so I'm thinking that an ATV would do the
trick and I'd like to get an ATV to launch the boats rather than using a
regular vehicle.

The boats that I would like to launch are a sailboat weighing about 1,200
pounds (not including trailer weight) and a 15 foot small fiberglass
bowrider skiboat that would be say 1,200 to 1,800 pounds roughly (not
including trailer).

The launch is a standard launch, etc, with normal grade and angle to the
lake etc.

Will a standard ATV be powerful/strong enough to launch and remove the boats
from the lake? What should I look for in an ATV to make sure that it will
do the job? Will 4 wheel drive be necessary?
I would appreciate any comments, especially from those who have experience
launching with an ATV.

The last thing I want is to buy the ATV and get to the lake and discover
that it's not strong enough or it gets stuck or can't handle the weight or
something similar.
Thanks!

Don White

I don't own an ATV although most of my inlaws do. I'd check with the
dealers before trying to recover the 1200lb sailboat.

Sail-n-Dive

I often pull trailers with that much or more weight around the family farm
in W.Va with my 4 wheel drive Honda Rancher. Up hill and down hill is
usually not a problem but that's on dirt and power is not the
problem...traction is, especially on a hard surface like concrete. I'd
think that you would be OK as long as the ramp is smooth with no holes or
rocks to stop the wheels. But, I've been on a few ramps where my full size
van was struggling to pull out my Carolina Skiff because the under water
portion of the ramp was covered with sand and trash. I'd be interested to
know how you plan to trailer both the 4 wheeler and a boat. I do
occasionally pull two trailers but it can be a real pain.
QL
"Don White" wrote in message
I don't own an ATV although most of my inlaws do. I'd check with the
dealers before trying to recover the 1200lb sailboat.

Tony Thomas

I have used a 4 wheeler to move my boats around. The problem is not pulling
power. The problem is the boat and/or trailer weight a lot more than the 4
wheeler. Stopping it going down the ramp is impossible as it will just drag
you.
Just backing or pulling down a small grade w/ my pontoon trailer (1200 lbs)
it would start to push/pull me. Found I could do it but had to go very
slow.
I would not want to try backing it down a ramp as the boat will probably
pull you right into the water.

Tony

"Jim R James" wrote in message
[...]

FS 1998 Winjet Boat Nieman Marcus Ltd Ed in Cincinnati Ohio Girmannd Marketplace 1 August 24th 05 10:12 PM
Contents of vacuum bag Jon Smithe General 3 October 30th 04 04:50 PM
Update on Marina Damage -- FL Coasts anchorlt Cruising 0 September 24th 04 08:03 PM
Bullfrog Boats Gould 0738 Cruising 6 April 21st 04 09:50 PM
VEC build techniques to become more prevalent Gould 0738 General 0 December 9th 03 02:03 AM