Tony Thomas

I have used a 4 wheeler to move my boats around. The problem is not pulling
power. The problem is the boat and/or trailer weight a lot more than the 4
wheeler. Stopping it going down the ramp is impossible as it will just drag
you.
Just backing or pulling down a small grade w/ my pontoon trailer (1200 lbs)
it would start to push/pull me. Found I could do it but had to go very
slow.
I would not want to try backing it down a ramp as the boat will probably
pull you right into the water.

Tony

"Jim R James" wrote in message
Hi guys,

Does anyone have experience (good or bad) with launching boats with an
ATV?
I just got a new car and I thought that instead of installing a trailer
hitch on my car I would like to get an ATV with a trailer hitch to launch
my
boats. (besides it's a good excuse to get a new toy!!)

It's at my cottage and the launch is on my own property, so I do not have
go very far to launch the boats, so I'm thinking that an ATV would do the
trick and I'd like to get an ATV to launch the boats rather than using a
regular vehicle.

The boats that I would like to launch are a sailboat weighing about 1,200
pounds (not including trailer weight) and a 15 foot small fiberglass
bowrider skiboat that would be say 1,200 to 1,800 pounds roughly (not
including trailer).

The launch is a standard launch, etc, with normal grade and angle to the
lake etc.

Will a standard ATV be powerful/strong enough to launch and remove the
boats
from the lake? What should I look for in an ATV to make sure that it will
do the job? Will 4 wheel drive be necessary?
I would appreciate any comments, especially from those who have experience
launching with an ATV.

The last thing I want is to buy the ATV and get to the lake and discover
that it's not strong enough or it gets stuck or can't handle the weight or
something similar.
Thanks!