Steven Laughmiller

Default exercise and sea kayaking

While I know the best way to get into shape for seakayaking is to go
and do it, I am currently building the boat so that is still a little
out of the question. What things can I do at the gym or otherwise to
help guide a sedentary out of shape body into a less painful
experience in sea kayaking kayaking. I am 52, heavier than I like
but working on that very hard. The gym has the usual compliment of
machines; I am currently working on cardio the most since it seems
like I need it the most right now to build up wind and endurance.
Many years of sitting in a chair making topo maps takes it toll!

I am not planning any expeditions on the Georgia coast soon but that
is the goal eventually in late summer or so. Until then, lakes and
slow rivers and short trips in the sounds around Savannah will do when
the boat gets built.

Anyone got suggestions. Thanks
Steve
Bib

Concepts 2 Indoor rowing machine. Bought one 3 years ago as the New
England winter weather does not lend itself to sea kayaking. Aside
from the Klepper, the Concepts 2 is one of my better purchases. Not
inexpensive but worth every lost pound. I was 54 when I bought it for
the same reason you are looking now. Many health clubs have this
model row machine. Here is web site URL for company www.concepts.com.
Very glad I didn't waste money on health club membership and bought
row machine instead. While it doesn't mimic kayak paddling, you can
really get a tremendous workout and in my seaworthy opinion, it has
helped tremendously in my actual kayaking. Would suggest you check
with medical doc before any strenuous exercising especially for folks
over 50.
--
Big Island Bob
Bib

Here is correct URl - sorry about that -
www.concept2.com
--
Big Island Bob
No Spam

I turned 40 this January and I also work at a mostly desk job. When I
started kayaking a few years ago it took way too much of the season to just
get into acceptable shape. I started working out for the next season with
mixed results. Then last spring I decided to get it together. I have a
multifunction cable machine and I used it at least 3 times a week for 10 to
50 min depending on my schedule (probably 25min avg). I used relatively low
weights and did the 10 second extend, 5 second hold, and 10 second return to
rest position. This gives a good workout and is kind to the joints. Just to
give an example, I used from 25 to 100 pounds depending on the exercise.
There is no need to go higher using the 10-5-10 method. On top of this I
went walking or hiking as often as I could. The hiking was in the hills of
Pennsylvania (For those not familiar - it's not mountains in the grand
sense, but hilly and steep enough for a very good cardio workout. For the
whitewater folks, the exact location of most of my hiking was at Ohiopyle on
the Yough river). This put me in very good shape (at least compared to the
past 10 years) for kayaking and I was very happy to be able to keep up with
people that I consider very strong kayakers.

On another note, what are you building. I'm about to order the Cirrus plans
from One Ocean. This also means that I will continue my workouts as I need
to meet the 250 lb paddle weight limit for this boat. (No, I'm not saying
how much that I have to go).

Ken

"Steven Laughmiller" wrote in message
[...]

No Spam

Very nice kayak. Yes this will be my first kayak project. I have a few
questions.
1 - How do you like the hatch latching system you are using?
2 - How do you like the web arrangement you have on the front deck? It looks
great and off the top of my head I don't see a real drawback. I usually just
have the paddle float, pump and a bottle of water up front and this looks
like it would work well.

Ken

No Spam

Thank you for the information. Being a big guy keeping the pump inside with
me is not an option. I can't reach behind the seat very well and I hate to
have stuff flopping around under my legs. The people that run the club that
I kayak with also prefer that we keep them on deck. The reason for this is
so we can help bail someone else's boat without having to open our spray
skirt. I haven't had to do this yet but I see their point. I guess that if
you are paddling alone it is a moot point but when you may need to assist a
fellow paddler it makes sense to be able to do so without exposing yourself
to getting swamped.

On the water situation, have you seen the guys kayak where he placed the
hydration pack in the rear bulkhead and ran a drink tube through a grommet
on the deck very near his left side. He can take a drink and then push the
tube back down. He claims that it stays water tight and has the advantage
(in summer) of keeping the drink cooler than riding on his back. I was
seriously thinking of doing the same. What are your thoughts?

"Melissa" wrote in message

Hi Ken,

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 02:50:43 GMT, you wrote:

Very nice kayak.

Thanks! I love it. There's something very special about building a
boat with your own hands and heart.

Yes this will be my first kayak project.

You're going to love it! (but keep a comfortable "moaning chair" handy
for those few moments when it might feel especially appropriate! ;-))

1 - How do you like the hatch latching system you are using?

I like it very much! There's a gasket underneath the hatch cover, and
it compresses nicely with the pressure from the tabs, so the seal is
completely waterproof, and the tabs are very secure as well.

2 - How do you like the web arrangement you have on the front deck?
It looks great and off the top of my head I don't see a real
drawback.

It's great. I usually keep my paddle float, pump, and water inside
the cockpit, so I use the deck bungies just forward of the cockpit
for charts and a Norsaq (used for "assisted hand rolling", not for
throwing harpoons at my seal and whale friends! :-)). I usually keep
my spare paddle on the aft deck, but there are bungies near the bow
for a spare paddle as well, so the bungies closest to the cockpit can
also be used to secure one end of the spare paddle.

I'm now trying to decide if I want to install a permanent compass on
the deck, or just use a "portable" one. If I do decide on a
permanent compass, I'll have to at least make a nice wooden mounting
plate for it.

I usually just have the paddle float, pump and a bottle of water up
front and this looks like it would work well.

It would work well for those things too, but I learned a long time ago
(the hard way, naturally) that if I really want certain things when I
might need them most urgently, I'll keep them inside the cockpit;
each tethered with a short bungie that's secured to the rear
bulkhead. I am considering getting one of those platypus type water
pouches I can wear so that I don't have to open the spray skirt to
get to my water.

- --
Melissa

ccotter

Check out the Sea Kayaker Oct 2004 edition and find there an article with a
weight training program for Kayakers. Article "Strength Training for Sea
Kayakers"
http://www.seakayakermag.com/
[...]

Courtney

Don't forget about using the area in front of you on the underside of the
cockpit to store things like water or a bilge pump for example. It's a
great out of the way place and easily accessible.

Courtney

"Melissa" wrote in message

Hi Ken,

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:50:20 GMT, you wrote:

Thank you for the information. Being a big guy keeping the pump
inside with me is not an option. I can't reach behind the seat very
well and I hate to have stuff flopping around under my legs. The
people that run the club that I kayak with also prefer that we keep
them on deck.

Sometimes, the design of the boat itself (how much space there might
be between the hip plates and side of the hull, for instance), or
your own installation of a "knee tube" under the deck, or even some
space between your legs on the bottom of the cockpit can mean that
you have other options than just stuffing everything against the
bulkhead (in fact, in the boat I recently finished building, there
really isn't enough "storage space" between the back band and the
bulkhead for anything but a deflated paddle float). In my Current
Designs Caribou, there's just enough room between the hip plates and
hull to slide the pump in there on one side, and my slim thermos for
a hot drink or soup on the other. Just in front of the seat, I've
placed some velcro on the floor of the cockpit, with the other half
of the velcro glued to my Naglene water bottle, so that my water,
though tethered as well, won't slide around on the bottom of the
cockpit floor.

In conditions that you can expect to remain relatively calm, merely
placing items under the deck bungies is perhaps not such an issue,
but if you're in conditions that are likely to cause a sudden
"clearing of the deck" due to water pressure (paddling through surf,
or even rolling, for instance), you may find yourself without any
pump (or paddle float or water) at all just when you might need it
most. You could tether the items you wish to carry on your deck (in
addition to just placing them under the bungies), but with any
tethering system, inside the cockpit or on deck, you also have to be
careful to do it in such a way that will not represent too much of an
entanglement potential in certain situations. To many bulky items on
deck (or attached to one's PFD) can also become obstacles during some
re-entry procedures.

The reason for this is so we can help bail someone else's boat
without having to open our spray skirt. I haven't had to do this
yet but I see their point.

Opening the spray skirt does represent a risk of swamping in certain
conditions, and this is why some people even prefer to install foot,
hand, or electric operated pumps in their boats. I guess I'm just
too much of a traditionalist to fully appreciate certain types of
mechanical assistance; even if they might be perfectly fine ideas in
general. Though one of these solutions might indeed be "safer", or
at least more convenient for even me in some situations, I still
resist. For both practical and aesthetic reasons, I generally prefer
to keep my deck as "clean" as possible with regards to bulky items.
Being a bit of a Luddite as well when it comes to "traditional water
craft", I'm wary of depending on mechanical devices that *might*
malfunction just when I need them most. I generally prefer to be the
only "moving part" in/on my boat. I also just don't like the idea of
having any more holes in my boat than is absolutely necessary, so
well sealed hatches and a cockpit are enough "holes in the boat" for
me! :-)

I guess that if you are paddling alone it is a moot point but when
you may need to assist a fellow paddler it makes sense to be able
to do so without exposing yourself to getting swamped.

Yes. Paddling alone presents both the potential for greater personal
risk and the opportunity to do some things differently than if you
were paddling with one other person or with a larger group. In my
particular situation, since there just aren't any other local
paddlers either able or willing to paddle as often as I want to, or
paddle in the conditions I'm willing to get myself into, if I want to
paddle, I paddle solo most of the time (unless paddling friends from
outside this immediate area happen to be visiting). I also most
often just prefer the solitude of solo paddling. After having lived
in large and crowded cities for so many years, enjoying a bit of
solitude here and there is very nice.

On the water situation, have you seen the guys kayak where he placed
the hydration pack in the rear bulkhead and ran a drink tube
through a grommet on the deck very near his left side. He can take
a drink and then push the tube back down. He claims that it stays
water tight and has the advantage (in summer) of keeping the drink
cooler than riding on his back. I was seriously thinking of doing
the same. What are your thoughts?

It's an interesting idea, however, what if you become separated from
your boat? Will you then be separated from your water as well? There
are pros and cons to most of this stuff we're discussing (here in
this "exercise" thread; sorry Steve! ;-)), so each of us has to weigh
for ourselves the potential risks against the potential benefits of
the various options available to us. For myself, even if I decide to
use a "wearable" hydration pack (an idea I quite like), I'll still
keep a bottle of water inside the cockpit as well. One can never
have too much water! :-)

I feel a little bad about hijacking Steve's "exercise" thread for
this type of discussion (though obviously not bad enough to prevent
driveling on and on ;-)), so perhaps if we want to take this further,
we can start another thread? :-)

- --
Melissa

Steven Laughmiller

Thanks to all for your input. Some off topic but all informative and
welcome! Got the SeaKayaker article and it is a great place to start
which will happen this weekend. I joined a gym with the wife and
maybe we will influence each other; thankfully there is no contract to
the gym! They do have great equipment and for $19 a month, I need to
take advantage of it. They don't have a pool but I have one of those
so when spring comes around.... I am also going to try and find
someone in the Atlanta area that knows how to roll and teach and see
if they would like to come over and show me how to roll this boat in
my pool or teach a class in my pool or have a BBQ and rolling class
or something.

I am building a Cheasapeake 17. A very good learning experience. I
had hoped to keep a natural wood finish throughout but due to a little
too much ambitious sanding of the chines on the hull resulting in
irregular plywood plywood layer patterns showing, it will be a dark
navy blue or emerald green (haven't decided yet). The deck however
will be left natural and varnished. It should still be a pretty boat.
The next boat (BIG GRIN!!) will be a stripper hybrid! My wife will
probably get this one since she will not be going as often as I will
be (this boat doesn't have an outboard and a head! grin!) Since this
is a "learning boat", it is going to have a 750 gal per hour bilge
pump for the cockpit (draws 2 amps) running off a small 12 volt 7.5
amp gel cell in the aft storage area. I will also carry a manual
pump of course. It looks like the weight of the boat is going to
come in somewhere around 48-50 lbs before decklines, batteries, GPS,
solarpanels, radardome, sonar,etc. grin! my wife thinks I am a geek
for some reason!.

Actually, I have been looking at some rollup solarpanels for charging
batteries, since I have a handheld GPS with nautical charts for the
Georgia coast and area lakes, and a VHF radio as well as cell phone.
But all this I guess is for another topic.
Again, thanks for all the help and advice. I will keep you all posted
on progress on the boat, If anyone needs advice on maps or
mapmaking, please let me know. I have been making topo maps for about
20 years now.

Steve

Steven Laughmiller
S&S Mapping

770-722-8459
No Spam

Just got back from hiking with some friends - now if one of us would just
pry open our wallets and install a sauna or hot tub we would be all set ;

The weight training I started in December paid off but I should have done
some cardio work before now. We changed about 500ft in elevation in a very
short distance (down this grade at the start and back up at the end) and boy
was it rough. Oh well, I'll keep up the weights and the hiking until I can
get back in the boat. I feel I should be in pretty good shape by then.

Now if I could just find some friends that aren't as cheap as me, I might
get some sauna/hottub time.

Ken

"John" wrote in message
. ..
Pick an excercise that you would enjoy and you will be more likely to do

it.
Start slowly and build up.
For me it is swimming. 1/2 hr swim followed by 1/2 hr in sauna or hot tub

shoot the breeze. Excercise and social mix is attractive so I'm likely to
keep it up.
YMMV
John