No Spam

I turned 40 this January and I also work at a mostly desk job. When I
started kayaking a few years ago it took way too much of the season to just
get into acceptable shape. I started working out for the next season with
mixed results. Then last spring I decided to get it together. I have a
multifunction cable machine and I used it at least 3 times a week for 10 to
50 min depending on my schedule (probably 25min avg). I used relatively low
weights and did the 10 second extend, 5 second hold, and 10 second return to
rest position. This gives a good workout and is kind to the joints. Just to
give an example, I used from 25 to 100 pounds depending on the exercise.
There is no need to go higher using the 10-5-10 method. On top of this I
went walking or hiking as often as I could. The hiking was in the hills of
Pennsylvania (For those not familiar - it's not mountains in the grand
sense, but hilly and steep enough for a very good cardio workout. For the
whitewater folks, the exact location of most of my hiking was at Ohiopyle on
the Yough river). This put me in very good shape (at least compared to the
past 10 years) for kayaking and I was very happy to be able to keep up with
people that I consider very strong kayakers.

On another note, what are you building. I'm about to order the Cirrus plans
from One Ocean. This also means that I will continue my workouts as I need
to meet the 250 lb paddle weight limit for this boat. (No, I'm not saying
how much that I have to go).

Ken

"Steven Laughmiller" wrote in message
While I know the best way to get into shape for seakayaking is to go
and do it, I am currently building the boat so that is still a little
out of the question. What things can I do at the gym or otherwise to
help guide a sedentary out of shape body into a less painful
experience in sea kayaking kayaking. I am 52, heavier than I like
but working on that very hard. The gym has the usual compliment of
machines; I am currently working on cardio the most since it seems
like I need it the most right now to build up wind and endurance.
Many years of sitting in a chair making topo maps takes it toll!

I am not planning any expeditions on the Georgia coast soon but that
is the goal eventually in late summer or so. Until then, lakes and
slow rivers and short trips in the sounds around Savannah will do when
the boat gets built.

Anyone got suggestions. Thanks
Steve