Kenneth McClelland

Default dog training advice?

http://www.outsideadventures.org/index.html

Sorry link to dog pic did not get pasted on my last post

--
KENNETH MCCLELLAND
"Kenneth McClelland" wrote in message
Went out sea kayaking with a group on one of the local rivers and was
surprised to see our leader with a very large dog sitting in the rear

hatch
area. I had seen dogs in canoes over the years but to have a dog on board
mostly out of reach requires a very calm dog. here is a link to the club
page with a picture of him and his dog.

--
KENNETH MCCLELLAND
"Fred Klingener" wrote in message
"CG" wrote in message
om...
Hello. I'm new to canoeing and would like to train my dog to come
along. ...

Keno was a malamute who came along on all my trips for years. Main

problem
was that he HATED to get wet. I had to lure him into the boat with dog
biscuits, and the timing had to be perfect. If I gave the biscuit to

him
before we were well clear of shore, he would grab the biscuit and leap

out
without getting his paws wet. The second problem was his 90 or 100

pound
mass. I couldn't force him to do anything he didn't want to do. We did

couple of trips that had whitewater in them, and it took some doing to

keep
him quiet. Most of the time the water was

set-up-early-and-then-spectate,
so I could hold him down with one hand through the whoop-de-doos,

uttering
usually soothing but sometimes threatening words.

In the presence of wildlife, many malamutes and huskies are untrainable,

and
Keno was worse than the worst. If I saw the moose first, I could get a
fistfull of withers skin, squeeze hard enough to get his attention and
convince him that I was serious and hold him down. If he spotted it fir

st
(the usual condition), it was a real circus. And the funny thing was -

the
response was unmeasured. A moose or a squirrel got the same explosive
reaction.

It was barely possible to get him back on board after a swim, but a 90

pound
double-coated dog brings in so much water with him that I would have to
beach to bail anyway.

On the upriver sections, Keno preferred to make his own way along the

shore,
agreeing to get ferried across when we got to a barrier or cutbank.

Some
people have dogs that'll line a boat in harness. *sigh*

It's hardly worth boating without a dog.

Hth,
Fred Klingener