riverman

Default dog training advice?

"AConst" wrote in message
The key is to give them something to provide traction in the bottom of the
boat. Dogs tend to be skittish if they are slipping around on the bottom

of a
royalex canoe. I use a rubber mat with a carpet top. This allows her to

hop
in and out with no problem. The canine PFD I use has a grab handle on the

back
which allows me to lift her out of water like a suitcase when we are in

open
water. As for keeping your dog
from jumping around just keep correcting them and they will learn. Just

don't
get frustrated, it takes time. You want to be sure they have fun and they

will
be great to have along. One last thing. I always keep a short leash

handy to
control my dog when we land. But DO NOT keep the dog leashed in the

canoe. In
case of a capsize
entanglement is a real risk. Hope this helps.

What a cool thread! Never trained a dog to be a canoeing partner, but I
think I'd also suggest getting her used to her PFD beforehand. Maybe put it
on her, then go play frisbee or something so she gets used to PFD = fun.
Smack her if she chews on it. I don't know if they make commercial doggie
PFDs, but I'd look into designs....I imagine you'd want more flotation down
around her chest area to keep her head up, but not so wide that it
interferes with her dogpaddling.

I think I'd also spend some time with her in the canoe in the yard, so she
can get used to her 'spot' in it. Another consideration is to train her to
stay with you and the canoe in case it capsizes. Nothing worse than going
over in a lake, and the dog heads for shore (a mile away!). You'll have your
hands full already getting righted. I'd suggest playing in water shallow
enough for you to stand in, and training her to climb on the inverted hull,
or to just grab the painter and hang out.

Just thoughts from something I have no experience with!

--riverman