Wade Norton

Default Please help me decide

I should also mention.... Even while I'd highly recommend the NDK Poseidon
as a fabulous "big boy" boat, if you're committed to one of the following,
then I'd go for the Capella over the CD boat.

Again, good luck!
Wade

"TallGuyCA" wrote in message
m...
Today I sat in a Solstice GT XL for the first time. This boat has a

single
mind! It wants to go straight. That is without the rudder. Amazingly a
fast boat and no fear of using my wing paddle to the limit! Very stable.
Now, I have to learn how to roll and turn!

The Capella that I sat in at the store was about two inches longer in the
cockpit area. I was not very comfortable during my test of the demo

today.
Boy that is a nicer boat. I think I'll go with the Capella so I have
something to achieve. It is about couple of inches narrower and sits

higher
in the water, less stable for this in-experience boater.

Thank you all for giving me directions as to what you think.

See you on the water.

"Paul Stivers" wrote in message
"TallGuyCA" wrote:

Hi,

I finally found two kayaks that I can fit in! I actually sat in both
and could get in and out easily. The British made P& H Capella
http://www.phseakayaks.com/our-kayaks-capella and Current Designs
Soltice GT XL http://www.cdkayak.com/kayaks/comps/solsticegtxl.asp .

I'll be trying them next Sunday but want your input before I make a
purchase decision. I am looking for a relatively fast boat that is
sea worthy for a 230 LBS, 6'5" with a shoe size of 13 can fit in it.

I wanted an epic but I did not fit in the 16 or the 18 footers!

Thank you in advance.

TallGuy,

I took a quick read, through google, of the earlier thread on the epic,

didn't see anyone mention Boyd's big guy site. You're probably aware of
it but in case not, http://www.kayakplace.com/bigguy/bigcomp.htm

The two boats you mention strike me as very different. 2.25 inches in
width makes a lot of difference. Especially for a tall big paddler with
a lot of torso above the boat. A lot of companies will move the foot

peg
track for you, as long as your feet don't hit the bulkhead or under side
of the deck, which may give you more options.

I'm 6 ft 3 in, 285 lb. I paddled a Wilderness Systems Tempest 180
prototype at the West Coast Sea Kayaking Symposium this last weekend

that
was really nice. 18 ft by 23 in wide which is in between what your
looking at. Pretty fast boat. Excellent primary stability for a 23

inch
boat. It's re-designed from the ground up, hull and cockpit, to be a
Tempest for a big guy/gal. It won't come out until Feb, 2004 though.

You may know this too, but you can read about the Tempest, and other
boats you may be interested in at http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/ I'm
going to put a review of the Tempest 180 prototype on paddling.net this
weekend.

--
Paul S.

Paul Stivers

"TallGuyCA" wrote:

Paul,

Just came back from the paddle fest, S.F. and you are right the
Eddyline Nighthawk 17.5 is roomy and is another boat that I can fit
into but what can you say about the material that they use. Is it sea
worthy? If it is why do they make an extreme version, special order
only? I just sat in it today. I'll have my local shop get me one to
try.

Personally, I like the Carbonlite material. There have been some quality
problems. I have a friend who bought one the first year it came out, and
had the combing (not sure if I'm using the right terminology) around the
cockpit opening separate, or something like that. That was a known
problem early on, that has been solved. I also talked to a guy at the
WCSKS who said he had a seam separate.

The Carbonlite should be great for dragging over rocks. Pretty hard
stuff. More so than linear polyethylene, and certainly more so than gel
coat.

Their modulus material is fiberglass with Carbonlite over it, in place of
the gel coat. I haven’t hear of any problems with that. That’s not
special order. The fiberglass would give you more rigidity and the
Carbonlite, if it’s thick enough, would still give you good scratch
proofing.

Their modulus extreme is special order. I’m not sure, but that might be
fiberglass/Kevlar with Carbonlite over it.

I’d focus on fit and performance for your needs. If you end up liking
the Eddyline the best, then decide whether you want to save $500 and try
Carbonlite, or whether you want the fiberglass. To be safe you could go
with the glass and it wouldn’t cost any more than any other glass boat,
plus you’d get the Carbonlite in place of the gel coat which I think is
only a plus.

I’m guessing that Eddyline has a patent on the Carbonlite, and when it
runs out we’ll see more manufacturers using it.

My main concern with the Nighthawk 17.5 would be if you want to learn
some of the performance stuff like rolling and sculling, it would help to
have a snugger fit in the cockpit. The boat might also feel a little
slow. But if you want extra primary stability and room, and still have a
very seaworthy design, I think it’s a great boat.

How did you like the Solstice and Capella?

--
Paul S.
TallGuyCA

Thank you Wade. I like the Capella better too. I must try the Eddyline
Nighthawk 17.5 to see how it tracks on water. I just sat in one at the
paddle fest but did not take it on water.

"TallGuyCA" wrote:

[...]

Alex McGruer

"TallGuyCA" wrote in message m...
Hi,

I finally found two kayaks that I can fit in! I actually sat in both and
could get in and out easily. The British made P& H Capella
http://www.phseakayaks.com/our-kayaks-capella and Current Designs Soltice GT
XL http://www.cdkayak.com/kayaks/comps/solsticegtxl.asp .

I'll be trying them next Sunday but want your input before I make a purchase
decision. I am looking for a relatively fast boat that is sea worthy for a
230 LBS, 6'5" with a shoe size of 13 can fit in it.

I wanted an epic but I did not fit in the 16 or the 18 footers!

Thank you in advance.

As one of the posters has mentioned at 6 foot 5 inches and 230 LBS you
are to big for the Capella.
Capella is not a real fast boat and you will plunk it deap in the
water.
You will create an impressive wake.
You are at the functioning weight limit for the Capella: Add water,
all the safety equipment and it will be slow, tippy, and not give you
the performance you deserve for your money.

I paddle a Capella... Love it. but when I go out for a trip or have to
keep up with some of the more exceptional paddlers around here I use
my NDK Explorer.

It may be an idea to call P & H and ask the good people there if that
boat will suit you.
It will serve well in rock gardens and playing around if you are a
good paddler to start with.
For day paddles with no equipment a Capella may work for you. For
spinning around rocks and doing fancy braces it is grand. BUT honestly
you are too big for that boat.
One lady gave you an honest and gentle reply. I don't have it in me to
be that diplomatic. It is a great boat though.
wpatrick

It surprises me that the Prijon Kodiak and SeaYak have not been mentioned. I
am 6'4" with size 14 feet and love my Kodiak. The blow molded plastic is
MUCH stiffer and stronger (and expensive) than the roto-molded plastic
boats. The weight is very manageable and the handling characteristics are
excellent. The SeaYak is a little shorter and narrower but it still fits me
quite well. The Barracuda will work very well if you like high performance,
twitchy boats....

I can't wear anymore than a wetsuit bootie on my feet in either boat or I
run out of foot room.