TallGuyCA

Default Please help me decide

Hi,

I finally found two kayaks that I can fit in! I actually sat in both and
could get in and out easily. The British made P& H Capella
http://www.phseakayaks.com/our-kayaks-capella and Current Designs Soltice GT
XL http://www.cdkayak.com/kayaks/comps/solsticegtxl.asp .

I'll be trying them next Sunday but want your input before I make a purchase
decision. I am looking for a relatively fast boat that is sea worthy for a
230 LBS, 6'5" with a shoe size of 13 can fit in it.

I wanted an epic but I did not fit in the 16 or the 18 footers!

Thank you in advance.

John Fereira

"TallGuyCA" wrote in
:

Hi,

I finally found two kayaks that I can fit in! I actually sat in both
and could get in and out easily. The British made P& H Capella
http://www.phseakayaks.com/our-kayaks-capella and Current Designs
Soltice GT XL http://www.cdkayak.com/kayaks/comps/solsticegtxl.asp .

I'll be trying them next Sunday but want your input before I make a
purchase decision. I am looking for a relatively fast boat that is sea
worthy for a 230 LBS, 6'5" with a shoe size of 13 can fit in it.

Given the choice between the two on your short list it's pretty much up to
you at this point. Both are fine boats that have already met one of the
most important criteria (fit). Paddle them both and decide which one you
like the most. If it's a tie, look at the overall construction and details.
Whichever boat you choose you're not going to lose.
Paul Stivers

John Fereira wrote:

"TallGuyCA" wrote in
:

[...]

For the record, I’m a fairly new paddler, and have been looking at a lot
of boats lately. I’d be surprised if both boats meet the fit criteria
equally for TallGuy. True, he can fit in both of them, but one probably
fits better, as the Capella probably has a smaller cockpit than the
Solstice GT XL. I think he’s just saying that in each he can get the
foot pegs extended far enough and his feet don’t hit the under side of
the deck. But then there’s width at the hips, vertical distance from
seat to thigh braces, forward position of thigh braces relative to seat,
spread of thigh braces. Granted, he could pad a larger cockpit out to
fit better if he wants to put the work into it, but he might have
preferred a lower deck or narrower boat in the first place rather than
padding.

If your point is that we can’t tell him which boat is better for him, I
agree. We can point out some of the differences though. These boats
strike me as two ends of the spectrum for a beginner (I’m making an
assumption here). TallGuy might be happier with something in between and
maybe should keep looking.

Just my thoughts,

--
Paul S.
Paul Stivers

"TallGuyCA" wrote:

Hi,

I finally found two kayaks that I can fit in! I actually sat in both
and could get in and out easily. The British made P& H Capella
http://www.phseakayaks.com/our-kayaks-capella and Current Designs
Soltice GT XL http://www.cdkayak.com/kayaks/comps/solsticegtxl.asp .

I'll be trying them next Sunday but want your input before I make a
purchase decision. I am looking for a relatively fast boat that is
sea worthy for a 230 LBS, 6'5" with a shoe size of 13 can fit in it.

I wanted an epic but I did not fit in the 16 or the 18 footers!

Thank you in advance.

TallGuy,

I took a quick read, through google, of the earlier thread on the epic, I
didn’t see anyone mention Boyd’s big guy site. You’re probably aware of
it but in case not, http://www.kayakplace.com/bigguy/bigcomp.htm

The two boats you mention strike me as very different. 2.25 inches in
width makes a lot of difference. Especially for a tall big paddler with
a lot of torso above the boat. A lot of companies will move the foot peg
track for you, as long as your feet don’t hit the bulkhead or under side
of the deck, which may give you more options.

I’m 6 ft 3 in, 285 lb. I paddled a Wilderness Systems Tempest 180
prototype at the West Coast Sea Kayaking Symposium this last weekend that
was really nice. 18 ft by 23 in wide which is in between what your
looking at. Pretty fast boat. Excellent primary stability for a 23 inch
boat. It’s re-designed from the ground up, hull and cockpit, to be a
Tempest for a big guy/gal. It won’t come out until Feb, 2004 though.

You may know this too, but you can read about the Tempest, and other
boats you may be interested in at http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/ I’m
going to put a review of the Tempest 180 prototype on paddling.net this
weekend.

--
Paul S.

John

I'm big too and find the Current Design Storm to be satisfactory. I=20
think it has a larger cockpit than the Solstice, it's rotomolded plastic =

so it costs about $1500 less than the Solstice

Paul Stivers wrote:

John Fereira wrote:
=20
=20
"TallGuyCA" wrote in
om:=20

Hi,

I finally found two kayaks that I can fit in! I actually sat in both
and could get in and out easily. The British made P& H Capella
http://www.phseakayaks.com/our-kayaks-capella and Current Designs
Soltice GT XL http://www.cdkayak.com/kayaks/comps/solsticegtxl.asp .

I'll be trying them next Sunday but want your input before I make a
purchase decision. I am looking for a relatively fast boat that is
sea worthy for a 230 LBS, 6'5" with a shoe size of 13 can fit in it.

Given the choice between the two on your short list it's pretty much
up to you at this point. Both are fine boats that have already met
one of the most important criteria (fit). Paddle them both and decide
which one you like the most. If it's a tie, look at the overall
construction and details. Whichever boat you choose you're not going
to lose.=20

=20
=20
For the record, I=92m a fairly new paddler, and have been looking at a =

lot=20
of boats lately. I=92d be surprised if both boats meet the fit criteri=

a=20
equally for TallGuy. True, he can fit in both of them, but one probabl=

y=20
fits better, as the Capella probably has a smaller cockpit than the=20
Solstice GT XL. I think he=92s just saying that in each he can get the=

=20
foot pegs extended far enough and his feet don=92t hit the under side o=

f=20
the deck. But then there=92s width at the hips, vertical distance from=

=20
seat to thigh braces, forward position of thigh braces relative to seat=

,=20
spread of thigh braces. Granted, he could pad a larger cockpit out to =

fit better if he wants to put the work into it, but he might have=20
preferred a lower deck or narrower boat in the first place rather than =

padding.
=20
If your point is that we can=92t tell him which boat is better for him,=

I=20
agree. We can point out some of the differences though. These boats=20
strike me as two ends of the spectrum for a beginner (I=92m making an=20
assumption here). TallGuy might be happier with something in between a=

nd=20
maybe should keep looking.
=20
Just my thoughts,
=20

Fiona

Paul Stivers wrote in message ...
John Fereira wrote:

"TallGuyCA" wrote in
:

[...]

i am not new to paddling.
capella is a great boat but likely much to small.
the capella weight capacity likely caps at 170 or 180 lbs for comfort.
bigger guys or women who are experienced canoists can paddle it well
but if they are just entering the sport the initial tenderness of the
craft could drive then away before the joy of paddling can be
realized.
@ over 200 lbs and add 50 or 60 lbs of gear for camping the boat will
be too deep in the water to be much fun at all.
p and h make larger boats that are better suited to tall people, ndk,
valley and a host of american builders make fine boats as well.
i weigh 135 , add safety gear 15 lbs , the craft (capella) sits
nicely. add another 60 lbs for water, food, tent, sleeping bag and
thema rest, stove and some odds and ends the vessel performs a little
differently. add another 45 lbs to that for the paddler and the
capella would not be my favorite boat at all.
I know nothing of the other kayak mentioned but have paddled my
capella and a valley boat for a long time. the capella will not be
good for this gentleman.
sorry p & h .
oh i am very pleased with my dealings with p & h, i had a minor
problem that was sorted in days. the guys there are the best.
Paul Stivers

(Fiona) wrote:

i am not new to paddling.
capella is a great boat but likely much to small.
the capella weight capacity likely caps at 170 or 180 lbs for comfort.
bigger guys or women who are experienced canoists can paddle it well
but if they are just entering the sport the initial tenderness of the
craft could drive then away before the joy of paddling can be
realized.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I paddled a bunch of Brit style boats
at the WCSKS last weekend. All too tippy for my big inexperienced torso.
Exception was the Tempest 180 proto.

I only paddled it briefly a month ago, but the Solstice GT XL seemed to be
at the other extreme. Very stable, relatively slow, stiff tracker, doesn't
edge turn that well. I'm inexperienced at edge turns, so a more experienced
person might get it to turn better. But the Eddyline Nighthawk 17.5, for
example, edge turns very well for me. Only problem with the Highthwawk
17.5 is that the cockpit is huge, and the boat's a little on the slow site.
Not enough contact with the body unless you're built like a professional
linebacker.

TallGuy, you should only take our comments as food for thought. Definitely
paddle them and see what you think. If possible rent some boats for a day.
Many shops will deduct the cost of up to two rentals from the price of a
new boat.

In a ruddered boat, I really like the Northwest Discover hull. Pretty
fast, turns well, fits a big guy. I would put a Seal Line foot peg and
rudder system on it. I was talking to the Northwest designer at the
symposium. I think the factory will retrofit better footpegs for you upon
request, and for an added charge of course. Thigh braces would also need
to be added if you want really good lean and sculling control and want to
roll some day. And you'd have to be ok with the Styrofoam bulkheads (I
think they still use Styrofoam.) The hull is great though, IMO .

There should be other ruddered choices: Nimbus, Seaward for example.

--
Paul S.

TallGuyCA

Paul,

Thanks for the input!

About a month ago I asked about the EPIC kayaks and received excellent
feedback. Later the dealer was able to order a few different sizes but that
did not work. The problem was that I could not get into the 16 or the 18
footer EPIC.

I am new to this too. Been kayaking for about 5 years every weekend rain or
shine. Explored almost 80% of lakes in northern Cali, surfed in my sit on
top at San Mateo beaches and the Stinson beach. Done some exploring in the
ocean and the caves in the Fort Brag area. Picked up an Epic wing paddle
last year and normally sustain a 5-6MPH on a lake and do 10+ miles every
weekend (and hence looking for a faster boat). I just want to be able to do
this as the winter approaches without sitting in water for a few hours and
hence a sit in boat. Been looking for one for the past couple of years and
could not find one that I can get in and out quickly. Except for the two
that I mentioned.

Both boats had so much legroom that I did not touch the walls. Capella was
the easiest to get in and out of. Solstice had sharp edges and had more hip
room.

"Paul Stivers" wrote in message
John Fereira wrote:

"TallGuyCA" wrote in
:

[...]

TallGuyCA

Paul,

Just came back from the paddle fest, S.F. and you are right the Eddyline
Nighthawk 17.5 is roomy and is another boat that I can fit into but what can
you say about the material that they use. Is it sea worthy? If it is why
do they make an extreme version, special order only? I just sat in it
today. I'll have my local shop get me one to try.

Also, at the paddle fest today I met Brent Reitz, whom I have watched his
forward stroke clinic DVD. His is a real nice guy and the DVD is perfect
for getting up to speed with efficient paddling. I also met Greg Barton,
who won two Olympic medals and designed the wing paddle I use. He did not
talk much as he was getting ready for the forward stroke class he was
scheduled to teach. I did not stick around...Real fun day but would have
been more fun if I would have spent it on water....

(Fiona) wrote:

[...]

TallGuyCA

Today I sat in a Solstice GT XL for the first time. This boat has a single
mind! It wants to go straight. That is without the rudder. Amazingly a
fast boat and no fear of using my wing paddle to the limit! Very stable.
Now, I have to learn how to roll and turn!

The Capella that I sat in at the store was about two inches longer in the
cockpit area. I was not very comfortable during my test of the demo today.
Boy that is a nicer boat. I think I'll go with the Capella so I have
something to achieve. It is about couple of inches narrower and sits higher
in the water, less stable for this in-experience boater.

Thank you all for giving me directions as to what you think.

See you on the water.