Paul Stivers

Default Please help me decide

John Fereira wrote:

"TallGuyCA" wrote in
:

Hi,

I finally found two kayaks that I can fit in! I actually sat in both
and could get in and out easily. The British made P& H Capella
http://www.phseakayaks.com/our-kayaks-capella and Current Designs
Soltice GT XL http://www.cdkayak.com/kayaks/comps/solsticegtxl.asp .

I'll be trying them next Sunday but want your input before I make a
purchase decision. I am looking for a relatively fast boat that is
sea worthy for a 230 LBS, 6'5" with a shoe size of 13 can fit in it.

Given the choice between the two on your short list it's pretty much
up to you at this point. Both are fine boats that have already met
one of the most important criteria (fit). Paddle them both and decide
which one you like the most. If it's a tie, look at the overall
construction and details. Whichever boat you choose you're not going
to lose.

For the record, I’m a fairly new paddler, and have been looking at a lot
of boats lately. I’d be surprised if both boats meet the fit criteria
equally for TallGuy. True, he can fit in both of them, but one probably
fits better, as the Capella probably has a smaller cockpit than the
Solstice GT XL. I think he’s just saying that in each he can get the
foot pegs extended far enough and his feet don’t hit the under side of
the deck. But then there’s width at the hips, vertical distance from
seat to thigh braces, forward position of thigh braces relative to seat,
spread of thigh braces. Granted, he could pad a larger cockpit out to
fit better if he wants to put the work into it, but he might have
preferred a lower deck or narrower boat in the first place rather than
padding.

If your point is that we can’t tell him which boat is better for him, I
agree. We can point out some of the differences though. These boats
strike me as two ends of the spectrum for a beginner (I’m making an
assumption here). TallGuy might be happier with something in between and
maybe should keep looking.

Just my thoughts,

--
Paul S.