blahb

Default Help me decide between these two boats...

The Seahunt Escape 175 or the Boston Whaler 170 Montauk. The Seahunt has
more "cushioned" seating where as the Boston Whaler is an obvious workhorse.
Primary use will be just cruising along in the lake and ocean off of Rhode
Island. Not much in the way of fishing but I want people on board to be
comfortable. Any thoughts?

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:45:12 -0500, "blahb" wrote:

The Seahunt Escape 175 or the Boston Whaler 170 Montauk. The Seahunt has
more "cushioned" seating where as the Boston Whaler is an obvious workhorse.
Primary use will be just cruising along in the lake and ocean off of Rhode
Island. Not much in the way of fishing but I want people on board to be
comfortable. Any thoughts?

The Montauk hands down. The Seahunt is a good boat, but form, fit and
function, the Whaler is the better boat.

For the waters you will be running in, I assume the Bay and adjacent
waters, the Montauk is a much more capable boat.

If you are looking for comfortable rides, you might want to consider
something like the 18 Ventura from Whaler or similar type boat. It's a
capable boat, considerate of passengers and at the same time has some
sea run capability which would allow you to get outside the Bay and
run around a little on good days.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"Fisherman are born honest, but they get
over it." - Ed Zern
NOYB

"blahb" wrote in message
The Seahunt Escape 175 or the Boston Whaler 170 Montauk. The Seahunt has
more "cushioned" seating where as the Boston Whaler is an obvious

workhorse.
Primary use will be just cruising along in the lake and ocean off of Rhode
Island. Not much in the way of fishing but I want people on board to be
comfortable. Any thoughts?

There's not even a doubt. Go with the Whaler.

blahb

That's the thing, the Whaler is about $1800 more than the Seahunt but I am
told that the Whaler has a much better resale value down the road so the
$1800 isn't relevant over the life of the boat.

The Seahunt LOOKS more comfortable but then again lots of people are saying
the ride on the Whaler and the stability of it is second to none. I seem to
be even more confused now.

"." .@. wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:45:12 -0500, "blahb" wrote:

The Seahunt Escape 175 or the Boston Whaler 170 Montauk. The Seahunt has
more "cushioned" seating where as the Boston Whaler is an obvious

workhorse.
Primary use will be just cruising along in the lake and ocean off of

Rhode
Island. Not much in the way of fishing but I want people on board to be
comfortable. Any thoughts?

Seahunt is a superior boat for your use. Whaler is overpriced and
meant for fishermen that want maximum speed over comforts like
cushioned seating.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:45:35 -0500, "blahb" wrote:

That's the thing, the Whaler is about $1800 more than the Seahunt but I am
told that the Whaler has a much better resale value down the road so the
$1800 isn't relevant over the life of the boat.

The question is how much of the $1800 difference will you recover over
time. Probably less than $200/300 dollars depending on how the boat
is used, hours, condition, age, etc. If you feel it is worth losing
the relative difference, then buy the Whaler.

Would I buy a Whaler? Compared to my Contender, the comparable Whaler
was set up the way I like, the engine packages were comparable, but I
couldn't get what I wanted from the dealer I was working with and
frankly, I was leery of the dealership just based on conversations
while working out a deal.

Different dealership and the Contender 31 could have been an Outrage
270 or 320.

The Seahunt LOOKS more comfortable but then again lots of people are saying
the ride on the Whaler and the stability of it is second to none. I seem to
be even more confused now.

Have you taken either one out for a ride or have ridden in one? You
may want to consider that before you make any decision. Plus, you can
play the dealers off against each other unless it is the same dealer.

You might also want to broaden your search a little. There are other
boats being produced that fit what I think you are wanting to do and
will be more than acceptable, save you some money and have a decent
return over time. Look around a little. You still have a couple of
months before prime time boating season - do some more homework.
Can't hurt and might help.

Good luck.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"Fisherman are born honest, but they get
over it." - Ed Zern
Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
The Seahunt Escape 175 or the Boston Whaler 170 Montauk. The Seahunt has
more "cushioned" seating where as the Boston Whaler is an obvious workhorse.
Primary use will be just cruising along in the lake and ocean off of Rhode
Island. Not much in the way of fishing but I want people on board to be
comfortable.

The Montauk is NOT a comfortable boat. It's a good boat, but it isn't a
comfortable boat.
Chuck Tribolet

FWIW, the other day I had to figure out how much my whaler was
worth for an insurance estimate. Using BUC and NADA, I was quite
surprised that it had lost only about 20% of its value in a little over
six years. I was expecting more like 30-40% (which is still darn good,
given that the last truck I sold had lost about 50% in a little under
six years).

I have the older (up through about 2001) Montauk 167. I've got a dive
buddy with the new Montauk 170, and it rides a good bit better.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"." .@. wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:45:12 -0500, "blahb" wrote:

The Seahunt Escape 175 or the Boston Whaler 170 Montauk. The Seahunt has
more "cushioned" seating where as the Boston Whaler is an obvious

workhorse.
Primary use will be just cruising along in the lake and ocean off of

Rhode
Island. Not much in the way of fishing but I want people on board to be
comfortable. Any thoughts?

Seahunt is a superior boat for your use. Whaler is overpriced and
meant for fishermen that want maximum speed over comforts like
cushioned seating.

NOYB

"Petey the Wonder Dog" wrote in message
Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
The Seahunt Escape 175 or the Boston Whaler 170 Montauk. The Seahunt has
more "cushioned" seating where as the Boston Whaler is an obvious

workhorse.
Primary use will be just cruising along in the lake and ocean off of

Rhode
Island. Not much in the way of fishing but I want people on board to be
comfortable.

The Montauk is NOT a comfortable boat. It's a good boat, but it isn't a
comfortable boat.

Petey,
You're referring to the older montauks...not the new Montauk 170. It's a
bigger, wider, smoother-riding, and more comfortable boat.

I looked closely at it before buying a mid-90's Outrage 17. My boat was the
second-to-last year that Whaler sold a non-Commercial Brad
Dougherty-designed hull. Dougherty now makes Edgewater boats...which is
another 17' boat blahb should look at.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 13:14:37 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

"Petey the Wonder Dog" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Here's another thought - wonder why I didn't mention this the other
day.

You might want to look at Polar boats. While they are new to the
market in terms of fiberglass boats, they appear to have built one
hell of a center console. Well made, everything fits, solid as a rock
and the ride is beautiful and dry. Prices are very competitive with
boats like Edgewater and Whaler.

As in all things, five years down the road, they might not even exist,
but Godfrey Marine has been around for a while so the probability is
that they might not go away.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT