Paul Stivers

Default Greenland boats for big guys

I’m 6ft 3in, 285 lb, 44in waist. I especially need vertical distance
from seat to thigh braces. I’m heading down in weight at about 3-5 lb
per month. I’ve taken one very basic lesson (wet exit, forward stroke,
and sweep stroke), and have about 15 hrs on the water in rented boats and
demos, and am going to the West Coast Sea Kayaking Symposium next week.
(I’d hoped to have taken a second lesson in lean turns and bracing, but
it was the last class of the Summer and I was the only one who signed up,
so it was canceled.) I’ve paddled several of the “modern American”
designs: Storm, Kodiak (I know, not American), Nighthawk 17.5, Northwest
Discover XL, etc.

Just those few days on the water, one in some wind and waves, and loosing
a couple inches in the waist has caused me to start thinking about the
Greenland designs. To my delight I found I can fit in the Sirocco, for
example, though I haven’t tried it yet on the water. My legs are splayed
out a little too much but they fit completely under the thigh braces.

I’m wanting to make a list of kayaks that meet the following criteria, so
that I can watch for them at the symposium, or stop somewhere in Portland
or Washington for a demo on my way up.

Greenland design.
Big guy fit
Total capacity of at least 350 lb.
Approx. 17 ft.
Good for expedition and day use.
Skeg.
Able to rent or demo somewhere in Oregon or Washington.

I’ve been researching on the web, including Boyd’s excellent big guy
site. Here’s what I’ve come up with.

- CD Sirocco and Gulfstream. (I’d need to lose a couple more inches to
fit well in this boat.

- Impex Assateague and Serenity. (I have high hopes for these.)

- Kajak Millenium

- Azul Triumph. (maybe not exactly a Greenland design.)

- NDK Romony Explorer HV (I suspect I won’t fit well in the cockpit.
Also, I think the total capacity is only rated around 300 lb)

Have I missed any?

Thanks in advance,

--
Paul S.

OMR

come to the Wilderness Systems booth at the beach at the WCSKS and see me.
We have a new Tempest 180 (18'X23") that's built for BIG guys. It's
prototype right now but we are planning a winter availability.

you could also see it at Alder Creek in Portland.

steve

Brian Nystrom

In reality, none of the boats you listed are even reasonable approximations
of Greenland designs, despite the fact that the companies' marketing hacks
wantonly attach the term to any boat that has significantly turned up ends.
For that reason, it's best to ignore the term in most cases. The boats on the
market that are the closest would be the wood designs by Betsie Bay and
Superior. In fiberglass, there's the NDK Greenlander/Greenlander Pro, the
Wilderness Systems Arctic Hawk and the VCP Anas Acuta, but even those are
quite different from the real thing. The first two might work for you, but
the AA is too small. Bestie Bay does make one boat that should fit you, the
Manitou.

If you want to see what real Greenland boats are like - just to put things in
proper context - go to www.qajaqusa.org and check out the informational
resources there.

--
Regards

Brian

Paul Stivers

"OMR" wrote:

come to the Wilderness Systems booth at the beach at the WCSKS and see
me. We have a new Tempest 180 (18'X23") that's built for BIG guys.
It's prototype right now but we are planning a winter availability.

Thanks Steve, I definitely will.* I'll be the big guy with shaved head and
goatee.**If there's two of those, I'll* be the one named Paul.* If there's
two of those, well, I give up.
*
--
Paul S.

if you guys can help me here, Florida Keyz General 2 February 3rd 04 12:45 PM
rec.boats & politics...why do I think the two do not go together? at am I missing ?Can't You Guys Find a more suitable newsgroup for your polical issues? Bear General 3 December 23rd 03 02:30 AM
The Pintail and Big Guys Ken General 9 October 11th 03 12:08 PM
How do you guys rate your boat? D.Newton General 7 July 19th 03 03:57 AM