Jake Janovetz

Default J-cradles -- opinions, recommendations?

I thought I posted this yesterday, but I haven't seen it show up...

I'm not very happy with the car-top carriage I'm using (blocks and
straps). In addition, I'd like to put a second boat up there. I have
two -- a 23" beam single (17.5 feet long) and a 30" beam triple (20
feet long).

I've recently seen the Malone J-Cradles (and Super-J for the triple)
and Oak Orchard Canoe cradles online and they look like they would be
really nice for my use. The Oak Orchard are thinner and not quite as
sturdy-looking, but they come with a wall-mount kit (basically a
fitted pipe screwed to the wall) which would be very useful in my
garage.

Both are similarly priced. I don't expect to see these things in the
near future since I live in central Illinois and there isn't much of
that stuff available at retailers here. So, I'm going to do this one
blind and just ask for suggestions. Any other manufacturers I should
consider?

Jake
Jake Janovetz

Eric-

Are you referring to the stacker bars? Is there an actual J-Cradle
from these companies? I didn't find them with a quick review of their
website.

Jake
LLutton

I wonder if the J-cradles are in fact harder to load a kayak onto. I have a 62
pound recreational 2-man kayak. I use a Thule outrigger to assist in getting
the kayak on the roofrack. It seems easier to me to keep the kayak flat on the
rack rather than placing it on it's side. I'm talking about a Pontiac Montana.
A vehicle that isn't as tall should be easier but I have a hard time
visuallizing me placing my kayak in a J-cradle. I load it without help.
Lynn

I've got the malone cradles and really like them. They are sturdy, easy to
use, and aren't huge. Yakima nd Thule both now sell j-cradles as well. I've
not seen anybody with the yakima set yet as they just camed out this year. I
know two people using the Thule set who like them. Personally I think they
are just too tall and tubular.

Eric Johnson

Jake,
They are actual J-Cradles. The Thule ones are called the hullaport or some
thing similar. I've seen them on the Thule web site before and as I said I
know people who use them.

Eric