BoatBanter.com

-   Touring (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/)
-   -   J-cradles -- opinions, recommendations? (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/14236-j-cradles-opinions-recommendations.html)

Jake Janovetz August 25th 03 04:35 PM

J-cradles -- opinions, recommendations?

I thought I posted this yesterday, but I haven't seen it show up...

I'm not very happy with the car-top carriage I'm using (blocks and
straps). In addition, I'd like to put a second boat up there. I have
two -- a 23" beam single (17.5 feet long) and a 30" beam triple (20
feet long).

I've recently seen the Malone J-Cradles (and Super-J for the triple)
and Oak Orchard Canoe cradles online and they look like they would be
really nice for my use. The Oak Orchard are thinner and not quite as
sturdy-looking, but they come with a wall-mount kit (basically a
fitted pipe screwed to the wall) which would be very useful in my
garage.

Both are similarly priced. I don't expect to see these things in the
near future since I live in central Illinois and there isn't much of
that stuff available at retailers here. So, I'm going to do this one
blind and just ask for suggestions. Any other manufacturers I should
consider?

Jake

Jake Janovetz August 27th 03 02:17 PM

J-cradles -- opinions, recommendations?

Eric-

Are you referring to the stacker bars? Is there an actual J-Cradle
from these companies? I didn't find them with a quick review of their
website.

Jake

LLutton August 27th 03 03:07 PM

J-cradles -- opinions, recommendations?

I wonder if the J-cradles are in fact harder to load a kayak onto. I have a 62
pound recreational 2-man kayak. I use a Thule outrigger to assist in getting
the kayak on the roofrack. It seems easier to me to keep the kayak flat on the
rack rather than placing it on it's side. I'm talking about a Pontiac Montana.
A vehicle that isn't as tall should be easier but I have a hard time
visuallizing me placing my kayak in a J-cradle. I load it without help.
Lynn

I've got the malone cradles and really like them. They are sturdy, easy to
use, and aren't huge. Yakima nd Thule both now sell j-cradles as well. I've
not seen anybody with the yakima set yet as they just camed out this year. I
know two people using the Thule set who like them. Personally I think they
are just too tall and tubular.

Paddler August 27th 03 05:59 PM

J-cradles -- opinions, recommendations?

The J cradles I use(d) are from Thule. They work fine but are kind of
a struggle to get the kayak loaded. It weighs 63 pounds and I can't
do it alone. On my new Explorer its even worse because the J's are a
little further from the edge. We went to saddles from Thule (or
anyone else) and I can load it it my self without too much struggle.
Using J's frees up some room between the two boats and you can put a
tent or possibly a third boat up there so they have some advantages.
Al

Jake Janovetz August 27th 03 06:10 PM

J-cradles -- opinions, recommendations?

If I only had to transport a single boat, I'd probably agree with you.
Unfortunately, you may be hard-pressed to fit two kayaks side-by-side
on many smaller vehicles.

Jake

Eric Johnson August 28th 03 03:49 AM

J-cradles -- opinions, recommendations?

Jake,
They are actual J-Cradles. The Thule ones are called the hullaport or some
thing similar. I've seen them on the Thule web site before and as I said I
know people who use them.

Eric