Default NL - Friesland leeboards and 'sloepen' - file 01 of 10 leeboards-1.jpg

In addition to the discussions concerning leeboards and Bouler's neighbour's toy some pictures of leeboards (or ships with them) and 'sloepen'.

In the old days the sloep (sloop) was used as a tender or sometimes lifeboat on larger ships, nowadays quite the thing to go cruising the Dutch canals in. They range in length from approximately 5 metres to 11 metres and in price from 15.000 Euros to upwards of 150.000 Euros. Some have been to designed for speeds up to 30 knots others are equipped with an electric or diesel-electric engine for slow cruising only.

Hope you enjoy,

regards,

Jeroen

Attached Thumbnails
NL - Friesland leeboards and 'sloepen' - file 01 of 10 leeboards-1.jpg-leeboards-1.jpg

"Jeronimus" schreef in bericht
l.nl...

In addition to the discussions concerning leeboards and Bouler's
neighbour's toy some pictures of leeboards (or ships with them) and
'sloepen'.

In the old days the sloep (sloop) was used as a tender or sometimes
lifeboat on larger ships, nowadays quite the thing to go cruising the
Dutch canals in. They range in length from approximately 5 metres to 11
metres and in price from 15.000 Euros to upwards of 150.000 Euros. Some
have been to designed for speeds up to 30 knots others are equipped with
an electric or diesel-electric engine for slow cruising only.

Here my first wooden model I made maybe 25 years ago.
Same sort of ship.
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

Attached Thumbnails
NL - Friesland leeboards and 'sloepen' - file 01 of 10 leeboards-1.jpg-model-made-bouler.jpg

Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

In addition to the discussions concerning leeboards and Bouler's
neighbour's toy some pictures of leeboards (or ships with them) and
'sloepen'.

In the old days the sloep (sloop) was used as a tender or sometimes
lifeboat on larger ships, nowadays quite the thing to go cruising
the Dutch canals in. They range in length from approximately 5
metres to 11 metres and in price from 15.000 Euros to upwards of
150.000 Euros. Some have been to designed for speeds up to 30 knots
others are equipped with an electric or diesel-electric engine for
slow cruising only.

Here my first wooden model I made maybe 25 years ago.
Same sort of ship.

Hey, this is neat! Looks like mahogany, is that what it is made of? If
not, it does look like an open-grained wood, though. Another keeper!

--
HP, aka Jerry

"If it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck"

"HEMI-Powered" schreef in bericht
[...]

Its not mahogany, I don't even know what kind of wood it's made of.
But painting it with Boatlacquer ( I hope you understand what I mean) the
ship gets this darkbrown color.
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Here my first wooden model I made maybe 25 years ago.
Same sort of ship.

Hey, this is neat! Looks like mahogany, is that what it is made of?
If not, it does look like an open-grained wood, though. Another
keeper!

Its not mahogany, I don't even know what kind of wood it's made of.
But painting it with Boatlacquer ( I hope you understand what I
mean) the ship gets this darkbrown color.

I know what "boats" are and I know what "lacquer" is but I didn't know
that the latter was used on the former. I always thought that wooden
boats were protected by oil-based paint or marine spar varnish or a rot-
resistant wood like Teak was/is used for things like decks that cannot be
painted or varnished because they would be too slippery, so please expand
on the use of boat lacquer. Your last seems to also suggest that what's
on your very nifty model also contains what is called a "varnish stain"
in the United States. And, the very same processes are used on the
"woody" or "woodie" station wagons of the 1930s/40s/50s, such as
Chrysler's Town & Country which had Mahogany veneers overlaid with White
Ash or White Oak timber-line framing. These things had to be stripped,
bleached, restained and revarnished with spar varnish at least once a
year, sometime twice if it was a very raining season. Here is where my
knowledge runs out so I'd appreciate a boat and ship finishing mini tut,
please.

[...]

It was a litteral translation from Dutch, so I think you're very close with
"marine spar varnish"
Literal translations are most of the time misunderstood or have a complete
other meaning.
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

[...]

Hey, numbnuts, lacquer and varnish aren't even the same thing! Varnish
uses turpentine as its solvent while lacquer uses originally alcohol
and other very volitle and toxic substances but today more often
acrylics and water. If you're gonna lecture me on wood finishes, best
get it right, asshole! And, it is "literal", not "litteral".

Literal translations are most of the time misunderstood or have a
complete other meaning.

One needs to make correct translations in the same way one must be
aware of technical, engineering, physics, and chemical issues when
telling educated and experienced people they're full of ****.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"You've obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a ****!"

"HEMI - Powered" schreef in bericht

Literal translations are most of the time misunderstood or have a
complete other meaning.

One needs to make correct translations in the same way one must be
aware of technical, engineering, physics, and chemical issues when
telling educated and experienced people they're full of ****.

Well talk to me in Dutch.
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Literal translations are most of the time misunderstood or have a
complete other meaning.

One needs to make correct translations in the same way one must be
aware of technical, engineering, physics, and chemical issues when
telling educated and experienced people they're full of ****.

Well talk to me in Dutch.

sorry, can't. in case you don't know it, the business language of the
entire world is English, so get with the program or get left behind.
Also, keep in mind that you won't get any slack with your mangling of
my language, if you snooze you're gonna lose so either Shut The **** Up
or go away, but do NOT try to take me on and do NOT try to engage me in
verbal combat, or you'll be buried in FACTS intended to publicly
humiliate you so fast so so viciously you won't believe it!

--
HP, aka Jerry

"You've obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a ****!"

"HEMI - Powered" schreef in bericht
Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Literal translations are most of the time misunderstood or have a
complete other meaning.

One needs to make correct translations in the same way one must be
aware of technical, engineering, physics, and chemical issues when
telling educated and experienced people they're full of ****.

Well talk to me in Dutch.

sorry, can't. in case you don't know it, the business language of the
entire world is English, so get with the program or get left behind.

Yoúr memory is allright, I told you that.

Also, keep in mind that you won't get any slack with your mangling of
my language, if you snooze you're gonna lose so either Shut The **** Up
or go away, but do NOT try to take me on and do NOT try to engage me in
verbal combat, or you'll be buried in FACTS intended to publicly
humiliate you so fast so so viciously you won't believe it!

And leaving my favorite Newsgroup, forget it.
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)