Bouler Bouler is offline

Default NL - Friesland leeboards and 'sloepen' - file 01 of 10 leeboards-1.jpg

"HEMI-Powered" schreef in bericht
Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Here my first wooden model I made maybe 25 years ago.
Same sort of ship.

Hey, this is neat! Looks like mahogany, is that what it is made of?
If not, it does look like an open-grained wood, though. Another
keeper!

Its not mahogany, I don't even know what kind of wood it's made of.
But painting it with Boatlacquer ( I hope you understand what I
mean) the ship gets this darkbrown color.

I know what "boats" are and I know what "lacquer" is but I didn't know
that the latter was used on the former. I always thought that wooden
boats were protected by oil-based paint or marine spar varnish or a rot-
resistant wood like Teak was/is used for things like decks that cannot be
painted or varnished because they would be too slippery, so please expand
on the use of boat lacquer. Your last seems to also suggest that what's
on your very nifty model also contains what is called a "varnish stain"
in the United States. And, the very same processes are used on the
"woody" or "woodie" station wagons of the 1930s/40s/50s, such as
Chrysler's Town & Country which had Mahogany veneers overlaid with White
Ash or White Oak timber-line framing. These things had to be stripped,
bleached, restained and revarnished with spar varnish at least once a
year, sometime twice if it was a very raining season. Here is where my
knowledge runs out so I'd appreciate a boat and ship finishing mini tut,
please.

It was a litteral translation from Dutch, so I think you're very close with
"marine spar varnish"
Literal translations are most of the time misunderstood or have a complete
other meaning.
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)