Default Link Titanic disaster

Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Read it all and agreed to make a long story shorter.

You're a very clever man, you're apoligizing before I can even
say somethinggrin

It's not that I'm being clever or trying to anticipate you, I'm
trying to answer a concern you had that I was blowing too much
smoke and techical jargon and usage at you, so I made a conscious
effort today to tone that down and expand on things you were
commenting on.

OK.but you still are clever;-)

But you have nothing to apologize for Jerry you're smart enough to
build in a lot of caution.
If we are goïng on this way we're writing a book together;-)

Thank you, Bouler, I appreciate that a lot. Hey, you may have a
damn good idea - collaborating on a research book about something!

Noooooooooooooo, I don't have the energy and the knowledgegrin

Hey, friend, it was your idea above to collaborate on a book! grin back
at ya

--
HP, aka Jerry

"If it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck"

Default NL - Friesland _ Prinsenhof _ tacking a skutsje - file 4 of 5 DSC_8043_bewerkt.jpg

wizofwas added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Do you still live in SE Michigan, wiz? If so, where? I'm sure you
know I live in Troy, about 19 miles NNW of the Detroit River. If
you've moved away, where did you live when here and where are you
now? Thanks.

Born and raised in Clarkston, it was a great little town back then.
And I've
also lived in E. Lansing and Grand Blanc. Now I'm in St.
Petersburg, Fla. My one year of sailboat racing, we took 1st in
class (Tartan 10) in the Port Huron to Mackinaw race.

Really?! Help out a lazy Michigander, wiz. Clarkston is north of Lapeer
or NW, I can't remember which. I think the only time I've been there,
and it isn't more than maybe 30 miles from me, is for a couple of
funerals for the father or mother of one of my employees, and then
later when HE suddenly and tragicly dropped dead a few years back after
I'd retired.

And yes, I know where Tory is.

A slip of the digit, methinketh - Troy.

Exit 69 off of I-75 at Big Beaver
Rd. How could I ever forget that exit. I don't know if it's still
there, but I used to try to eat at the A&W there at Big Beaver &
Rochester Rd. when I was working in that area. I had a job as a
computer tech so I got to go to a lot of "job shops" in that area,
as well as most of the LP. And I've also worked over a lot of the
Midwest.

I normally take the Rochester Road exit either way from I-75 but most
often I'm gettin off from the NG side. We live almost on the corner of
Square Lake Road and Livernois, only a block from the old Troy Corners
church which was moved a couple of years ago to the Troy Historical
Museum.

For the benefit of others here - you already know, I suspect - Troy was
originally a small farming village in the early 19th Century. There
were two parts to it, Troy Corners where I'm at, and Big Beaver, about
where Big Beaver Road is today, and - I think - between what is now
Rochester Road and Livernois. Any of you less lazy and better informed
SE Michigan folks that can confirm or dispute my assertion, I'd be
beholdin'!

I've been to Tampa-St. Pete many times. My wife always liked the Gulf
side of Florida for beach vacations than the Atlantic side because the
water is warmer, less windy, nicer scenery, about everything better.
Her fav place was Treasure Island. We also stayed ONCE - never do that
again! - on Sanibel Island some distance south of you. Beaches were
narrow, the place was infested with bugs to the point where one
couldn't stroll the beach after dusk, and restaurants few and far
between.

I did like Florida much better than Souther California but since I'd
never been there, we did take a vacation to the Greater Los Angeles
Area in 1993, stayed in a Holiday in Anaheim, and did all of the
touristy stuff including the San Deigo Zoo. But, the white tigers were
sleeping in the back of their lair that day. Of course, we also had to
find each and every Hard Rock Cafe because me daughter, then not quite
13, was collecting T-shirts. Now she collects their shot glasses and
has a couple of big wall shelfie things.

I'm glad I went to Kalyfornia, but once was enough for me. For the
record ain't no way, Jose, I'd ever fly into LAX, we went into John
Wayne and picked up our car on the property, great way to go.

Thanks for the info!

--
HP, aka Jerry

"If it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck"

Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Read all and I agree.

In short, if one reads this Amendment and has ANY knowledge of why it
is there, they can easily see that it does NOT guarantee you the right
to own a rifle, shotgun, handgun, assault weapon, sub-machine gun or
anything. But, the threat IS real even today. In New Orleans,
Lousianna, the city hit the hardest by Hurrican Katrina in 2005, the
Mayor actually sent his police around and confiscated over 1,000 guns
presumeably to prevent deaths due to looting. I don't want to start
some gigantic flame war about guns, so I'll stop now.

You're right, but we have a lot in common.

Which part do we have in common? Does The Netherlands have some
equivalent to our 2nd Amendment or do you just mean you think we share
views on guns, specifically gun control? I'll just crack the door open
just a bit. If I were running things, I'd hardly ban guns except for the
kind which only are used to commit crimes or terrorism, such as automatic
weapons, assault rifles, etc. But, I'd strengthen the laws similar to
Great Britain where you could OWN pretty much anything you wanted but
must keep it in a controlled armory and apply in writing to take it to
wherever you proposed to use it for target shooting, hunting, or perhaps
a collecting show.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"If it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck"

"HEMI-Powered" schreef in bericht
Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Read all and I agree.

In short, if one reads this Amendment and has ANY knowledge of why it
is there, they can easily see that it does NOT guarantee you the right
to own a rifle, shotgun, handgun, assault weapon, sub-machine gun or
anything. But, the threat IS real even today. In New Orleans,
Lousianna, the city hit the hardest by Hurrican Katrina in 2005, the
Mayor actually sent his police around and confiscated over 1,000 guns
presumeably to prevent deaths due to looting. I don't want to start
some gigantic flame war about guns, so I'll stop now.

You're right, but we have a lot in common.

Which part do we have in common? Does The Netherlands have some
equivalent to our 2nd Amendment or do you just mean you think we share
views on guns, specifically gun control?

Thats the part I meant.

I'll just crack the door open
just a bit. If I were running things, I'd hardly ban guns except for the
kind which only are used to commit crimes or terrorism, such as automatic
weapons, assault rifles, etc. But, I'd strengthen the laws similar to
Great Britain where you could OWN pretty much anything you wanted but
must keep it in a controlled armory and apply in writing to take it to
wherever you proposed to use it for target shooting, hunting, or perhaps
a collecting show.

In The Netherlands we have a law too that allows some people wearing guns.
But they all should have a license.
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

"HEMI-Powered" schreef in bericht

In The Netherlands every car older than 3 year has to be checked
every year by a garage who has their qualifications to do so.
So every year in September I hope my 16 years old Renault 19 will
make it. If something is wrong it has to be fixed, if not you may
not drive that car anymore.
I think its a good thing, you don't see rusty vehicles on the road
any more.

I somewhat often see cars so crappy they are actually a danger to
those around them. Bald tires, fascias hanging literally, smoke
pouring out the tailpipe, everything. Sad.

Thats new for me, I thougt safety came first in the USA.
But go to Ireland or Poland and other east-European countrys, I
think its even worse than in America.

Safety is paramount only for new cars. Car makers must certify to very
rigorous MVSS (Motor Vehicle Safety Standards). I'm not familiar with
individual state safety and emissions requirements so beyond
California's very strict rules from CARB (California Air Resources
Board) on tailpipe emissions, I'm sure there are at least some states
that also do safety inspections, but our driver's licensing process is
generally quite loose. e.g., in Michigan, you literally CANNOT fail the
10 or 12 question written test you must take only every 8 years. I
asked which one(s) I missed the last time I took it and the clerk told
me it didn't matter as EVERYONE passes! Then, what's the sense of a
test?!

To give some people a job maybegrin

But, I do not think that ANY state is any near as tough as you're
saying The Netherlands is, nor do I think any are as tough as I
remember the inspection for my car in West Germany when I bought it and
when I needed a re-inspection before selling it. We just don't do much.
And, while the police DO inspect vehicles involved in injury or fatal
accidents, it takes something pretty bad before the driver is ticketed.
However, car companies are routinely sued by drivers, passengers, or
surviving relatives in serious injury and fatality accidents not for
safety per se but for alleged product liability, i.e., the plaintiffs
allege the accident was caused by faulty design and/or manufacture.
Most are dismissed or the car company wins but there are notable
exceptions.

If I'm informed well, sueïng is a hobby in the USA and the amounts of money
they ask for minor things are high.
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

"HEMI-Powered" wrote in message
[...]

Clarkston is due west of Lake Orion, so that would be SW of
Lapeer. Basicly it's at the intersection of Dixie Hwy, M 15 and
I 75. I have to say Dixie Hwy, because I think they changed the
number from US 10 to US 24, but I'm not susre, it's been a long
time since I've been there.

And yes, I know where Tory is.

A slip of the digit, methinketh - Troy.

ROFL, yeppers, that and my old age setting in. :-)
Not to mention my dyslexia.

I've been to Tampa-St. Pete many times. My wife always liked the Gulf
side of Florida for beach vacations than the Atlantic side because the
water is warmer, less windy, nicer scenery, about everything better.
Her fav place was Treasure Island. We also stayed ONCE - never do that
again! - on Sanibel Island some distance south of you. Beaches were
narrow, the place was infested with bugs to the point where one
couldn't stroll the beach after dusk, and restaurants few and far
between.

I love it here. With the price of gas the way it is, I can get to anywhere
I want by bicycle with no problems. In fact, I haven't driven a car since
Christmas. St. Pete is getting real "biker" friendly more and more each
year with new bicycle paths being added to the streets every year and
even putting up bicycle racks in more areas.

I did like Florida much better than Souther California but since I'd
never been there, we did take a vacation to the Greater Los Angeles
Area in 1993, stayed in a Holiday in Anaheim, and did all of the
touristy stuff including the San Deigo Zoo. But, the white tigers were
sleeping in the back of their lair that day. Of course, we also had to
find each and every Hard Rock Cafe because me daughter, then not quite
13, was collecting T-shirts. Now she collects their shot glasses and
has a couple of big wall shelfie things.

I'm glad I went to Kalyfornia, but once was enough for me. For the
record ain't no way, Jose, I'd ever fly into LAX, we went into John
Wayne and picked up our car on the property, great way to go.

Been to Cal., nice place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there.

wizofwas

"HEMI-Powered" schreef in bericht

OK.but you still are clever;-)

But you have nothing to apologize for Jerry you're smart enough to
build in a lot of caution.
If we are goïng on this way we're writing a book together;-)

Thank you, Bouler, I appreciate that a lot. Hey, you may have a
damn good idea - collaborating on a research book about something!

Noooooooooooooo, I don't have the energy and the knowledgegrin

Hey, friend, it was your idea above to collaborate on a book! grin back
at ya

You're right, I take it back;-)
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

[snip]
Safety is paramount only for new cars. Car makers must certify to
very rigorous MVSS (Motor Vehicle Safety Standards). I'm not
familiar with individual state safety and emissions requirements so
beyond California's very strict rules from CARB (California Air
Resources Board) on tailpipe emissions, I'm sure there are at least
some states that also do safety inspections, but our driver's
licensing process is generally quite loose. e.g., in Michigan, you
literally CANNOT fail the 10 or 12 question written test you must
take only every 8 years. I asked which one(s) I missed the last
time I took it and the clerk told me it didn't matter as EVERYONE
passes! Then, what's the sense of a test?!

To give some people a job maybegrin

I was flabergasted when I heard that 6 years ago but after reflecting
for awhile, it occurred to me that the licensing process is an easy
money maker for the state as are plates and it is in the state's best
interest to have as many drivers on the road as possible because they
also buy gas which is taxed, they drive to work which is good for jobs
and business, and they drive to shop which is also good for jobs,
businesses, and taxes. So, I don't think that you're right. I have to
say, but with a big GRIN, that your political leaning are creeping in
here. We DO employ people just to employ them, but not very damn much
because there simply isn't budget for planned inefficiency when the
unplanned kind is so obvious and plentiful.

If I'm informed well, sueïng is a hobby in the USA and the amounts
of money they ask for minor things are high.

I doubt that, also. "Sue the *******!" may be a good slogan and an easy
way to earn money by going after those with deep pockets, but often
people feel very strongly about alleged product liability injuring or
killing their loved ones and there are all too many tragic examples of
corporate greed and callous disregard for the public's safety. I can
tell you more off-line if you ask about it.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"If it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck"

Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Which part do we have in common? Does The Netherlands have some
equivalent to our 2nd Amendment or do you just mean you think we
share views on guns, specifically gun control?

Thats the part I meant.

The latter, I'll assume.

I'll just crack the door open
just a bit. If I were running things, I'd hardly ban guns except
for the kind which only are used to commit crimes or terrorism,
such as automatic weapons, assault rifles, etc. But, I'd strengthen
the laws similar to Great Britain where you could OWN pretty much
anything you wanted but must keep it in a controlled armory and
apply in writing to take it to wherever you proposed to use it for
target shooting, hunting, or perhaps a collecting show.

In The Netherlands we have a law too that allows some people wearing
guns. But they all should have a license.

We call that a CCW, Carry Concealed Weapon. Rules for that vary quite
widely amongst the "several states" but here in Michigan, one must
first get a permit to buy the handgun or other concealable firearm or
other weapon but that's relatively easy. Then one must submit to a
somewhat more rigorous background check for a CCW and be absent any
felony convictions but this requirement is often side-stepped or simply
ignored so people in Michigan should ASSUME that everyone they see on
the streets, in shops, in cars, anywhere are armed to the teeth.

Interstingly, one cannot carry a long gun such as rifle or shotgun in
the open or concealed, barrel length is limited to 20" or more so
sawed-off shotguns are illegal about everywhere, and one cannot even
throw a long gun into their rear seat. It must be either disassembledd
or stored in a secure case in the trunk of the vehicle or other wise
not easily visible from outside the vehicle. What makes this such a
peculiar law is that NO permit is required to buy a long-gun except to
fill out an application at the store and show a simple photo ID.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"If it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck"

wizofwas added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

[snip]

I love it here. With the price of gas the way it is, I can get to
anywhere I want by bicycle with no problems. In fact, I haven't
driven a car since Christmas. St. Pete is getting real "biker"
friendly more and more each year with new bicycle paths being added
to the streets every year and even putting up bicycle racks in more
areas.

I'm not quite fond enough to move to Florida, but I do like it. I don't
much like the cost of living nor them dang himmicanes that Kingfisher
prefers I not mention. I think he views them as the "H" word. grin

I'm glad I went to Kalyfornia, but once was enough for me. For the
record ain't no way, Jose, I'd ever fly into LAX, we went into John
Wayne and picked up our car on the property, great way to go.

Been to Cal., nice place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there.

Likewise, bigtime, wizofwas!