Default NL - Friesland _ Prinsenhof _ tacking a skutsje - file 2 of 5 DSC_8041_bewerkt.jpg

5 pictures showing a skutsje (or barge) tacking.

Enjoy,

Regards,

Jeroen

- Posted by Ozum - all-in-one yEnc newsreader, scanner/robot and freeware autoposter.
- yEnc explained (yEnc basic FAQ) - http://www.ozinsight.com/yencfaq.html

Attached Thumbnails
NL - Friesland _ Prinsenhof _ tacking a skutsje - file 2 of 5 DSC_8041_bewerkt.jpg-dsc_8041_bewerkt.jpg

Jeronimus added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

5 pictures showing a skutsje (or barge) tacking.

Enjoy,

Regards,

First time I've ever seen a sailing barge! The kind I'm used to seeing
are large, flat-bottomed floating cargo carriers either towed or pushed
with a tugboat.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"You've obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a ****!"

"HEMI-Powered" wrote in news:Xns9A973402DE8E4ReplyScoreID@
216.168.3.30:

Jeronimus added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

5 pictures showing a skutsje (or barge) tacking.

Enjoy,

Regards,

First time I've ever seen a sailing barge! The kind I'm used to seeing
are large, flat-bottomed floating cargo carriers either towed or pushed
with a tugboat.

Hello HEMI,

these were the traditional 'freighters' of Holland. Now used mostly for
chartering (groups) and sometimes to race (although they tend to be tuned
up a little for the latter..)

Regards,

Jeroen

"HEMI-Powered" schreef in bericht

First time I've ever seen a sailing barge! The kind I'm used to seeing
are large, flat-bottomed floating cargo carriers either towed or pushed
with a tugboat.

Thats the new time Hemi, in the early years there were no tugs nor motors on
the ship, all was done by sail and in canals some had a horse to pull the
ship and the poor guys had to pull themselves.
Here a picture I scanned from a newspaper.
A horse pulling the ship home in the river thats behind my place.
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Horse brings ship home 2.jpg (136.2 KB, 27 views)

Jeronimus added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

First time I've ever seen a sailing barge! The kind I'm used to
seeing are large, flat-bottomed floating cargo carriers either
towed or pushed with a tugboat.

Hello HEMI,

these were the traditional 'freighters' of Holland. Now used mostly
for chartering (groups) and sometimes to race (although they tend to
be tuned up a little for the latter..)

Regards,

Thanks for the info, Jeroen, I appreciate it.

--
HEMI - Powered, aka Jerry

"You've obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a ****!"

Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

First time I've ever seen a sailing barge! The kind I'm used to
seeing are large, flat-bottomed floating cargo carriers either
towed or pushed with a tugboat.

Thats the new time Hemi, in the early years there were no tugs nor
motors on the ship, all was done by sail and in canals some had a
horse to pull the ship and the poor guys had to pull themselves.
Here a picture I scanned from a newspaper.
A horse pulling the ship home in the river thats behind my place.

Now, this I recognize! Looks very similar to what we called "canal
boats" during the 18th and 19th Century attempts at water commerce which
was eventually replaced by both steam boats and the "Iron Horse". Thanks
for the picture!

--
HEMI - Powered, aka Jerry

[...]

Thats wat happened here too, but when the ships could sail they sailed in
times their were no engines.
It even was so that these ships having a steam-engine they sailed when there
was wind to save coal.
Wind is free;-)
--
Greetings