HEMI - Powered HEMI - Powered is offline

Default NL - Friesland _ Prinsenhof _ tacking a skutsje - file 2 of 5 DSC_8041_bewerkt.jpg

Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

First time I've ever seen a sailing barge! The kind I'm used to
seeing are large, flat-bottomed floating cargo carriers either
towed or pushed with a tugboat.

Thats the new time Hemi, in the early years there were no tugs nor
motors on the ship, all was done by sail and in canals some had a
horse to pull the ship and the poor guys had to pull themselves.
Here a picture I scanned from a newspaper.
A horse pulling the ship home in the river thats behind my place.

Now, this I recognize! Looks very similar to what we called "canal
boats" during the 18th and 19th Century attempts at water commerce which
was eventually replaced by both steam boats and the "Iron Horse". Thanks
for the picture!

--
HEMI - Powered, aka Jerry

"You've obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a ****!"