HEMI-Powered HEMI-Powered is offline

Default NL - Friesland _ Prinsenhof _ tacking a skutsje - file 4 of 5 DSC_8043_bewerkt.jpg

Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

"Jeronimus" schreef in bericht
3.133...

A skustje has a flat bottom with a very shallow draught (i think
app. 30 centimeters (1 foot), which allows it to sail into even the
shallowest waters (either by sail, or drawn by horses or crew).
Upwind performance is created by the side-blades (don't know what
they are called in english).

Leeboards I learned from boatbuilder Dave Fleming.

I'm not sure about the bow configuration's purpose. Apparently it
worked quite well ass it has been in use for many centuries..

Maybe Bouler knows some more, it's his favorite ship if I'm
right... Regards,

You're right there, my father, grandfather and grandgrandfather
sailed these ships before I was born.
I cannot answer the question about the bowconfiguration but I think
because they were cargo ships there was more space in the ship than
with a small bow.
Dont forget, these ships were aground by low tide in the
"Zuiderzee" and the "Waddenzee" waiting for high tide to go on.
BTW, thanks for this beauty Jeroen.

Interesting stuff I don't recall hearing about before, Bouler. Thanks
for sharing it with the group.

I am hardly a nautical engineer but for maximum cargo capacity at a
given length and a given amount of material, it is necessary to
displace the most water possible using the shape of the hull. Thus, a
wide ship with a blunt bow shape tends to be the best since it
displaces a good deal of water and at the same time draws the least
depth making it ideal for inland waterways. OTOH, this configuration is
very wasteful of power and cannot get very much speed over the water
before friction caused by a gigantic bow wave overwhelms the power of
the engines. Thus, in the case of true "tall ships" such as the fast
clippers of the 19th century, speed was more valued than cargo tonnage
and draft. Today, however, the pendulum has swung back to cargo
capacity especially for container ships and tankers as power plants
have advanced tremendously in the last 20 or so years while costs have
skyrocketed.

Now, undoubtedly I've made a number of errors in the above but as I
said, my background is much more mechanical engineering from an
education point-of-view and specifically car body engineering from a
practical point-of-view so corrections to my factual errors would be
much appreciated.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Most people with power would like to use it wisely, if someone
believable would tell them how", Robert Townsend in the book "Up The
Organization"