Jeronimus[_2_] Jeronimus[_2_] is offline

Default NL - Friesland _ Prinsenhof _ tacking a skutsje - file 4 of 5 DSC_8043_bewerkt.jpg

"HEMI-Powered" wrote in news:Xns9A97344983C0EReplyScoreID@
216.168.3.30:

Jeronimus added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

5 pictures showing a skutsje (or barge) tacking.

In this view, it looks something like a blunt-nosed schooner. What makes
a "skutsje" different than a simple schooner, other than the apparent
capacity to carry more weight for, perhaps, a commercial purpose?

Thanks. Just trying to edumacate myself ...

A skustje has a flat bottom with a very shallow draught (i think app. 30
centimeters (1 foot), which allows it to sail into even the shallowest
waters (either by sail, or drawn by horses or crew). Upwind performance is
created by the side-blades (don't know what they are called in english).

I'm not sure about the bow configuration's purpose. Apparently it worked
quite well ass it has been in use for many centuries..

Maybe Bouler knows some more, it's his favorite ship if I'm right...
Regards,

Jeroen