Default Sj maritime scans posted to a.b.p.misc - and a modest editorial

Sj has reposted her series of marine art by Christopher Blossom
to alt.binaries.pictures.misc on 2/16 and her series of maritime
art by John Stobart to the same group on 2/17.
She really does marvelous scans, well worth collecting.
For those willing to make the extra effort, and willing to
download UUE-encoded files, I recommend the trip to the
other newsgroup, to see if those posts are still there.

Yenc vs UUE has been heatedly debated for some time now
in many newsgroups, and it's a pity that we get so intense
about it. I suspect the argument will continue until Yenc
becomes the standard, or everyone has free high-speed access.
Or until the messiah comes.

Personally, I think that the people who put in the time
and effort to find (or photograph), scan, and post pictures
for us are very generous and do not deserve criticism for
posting in whatever way works for them, as long as they stay
within the official guidelines for the ng.
If I have to make an extra effort to receive these gifts,
well it's my choice to put in that effort or to let some
of the gifts pass me by. The person offering the gift
still deserves to be treated politely, even if they offer
something that I am not yet able to receive. When I had
a slow modem I bypassed everything that was too many KB.
Now that my modem is fast enough, I watch for reposts of
things that I had to bypass the first time around.

I'm sure that most lurkers feel the same way I do.
We usually don't speak up to defend our favorite posters,
nor even to say thanks. Maybe we sometimes feel sheepish
because we just collect, and don't have the time or perhaps
the skills, to reciprocate with scans of our own.
Since I'm in a rare, non-shy phase, I want to applaud
everyone who shares their pictures. You might not please
all the people all the time, but every poster has people
who are, or should be, thankful for the gifts you offer us.

- Ruth

schreef in bericht
Yenc vs UUE has been heatedly debated for some time now
in many newsgroups, and it's a pity that we get so intense
about it. I suspect the argument will continue until Yenc
becomes the standard, or everyone has free high-speed access.
Or until the messiah comes.

Yenc have noting to do with high-speed access.. If you look at the file size
of a Yenc poster you will see they send mostly very large files.
Yenc is usful to post large files like movies ets..
Pictures in the jpg format can easily be resized to 1200 pix wide, and with
some compression there is no need to send them in Yenc.
This way everybody can enjoy them.

Willem

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:55:47 +0100, "Willem Van der Voort"
wrote:

schreef in bericht
.. .
Yenc vs UUE has been heatedly debated for some time now
in many newsgroups, and it's a pity that we get so intense
about it. I suspect the argument will continue until Yenc
becomes the standard, or everyone has free high-speed access.
Or until the messiah comes.

At the end of the day, the poster decides what they want to post and how they
will post it. The receiver can ignore things that are posted in a way that they
don't like, just as they can ignore posters that they don't like.

However, I do wonder when I see someone entering the debate and posting rubbish
like that quoted below.

Yenc have noting to do with high-speed access..

Yenc has everything to do with file size, and file size has everything to do
with speed of access.

If you look at the file size
of a Yenc poster you will see they send mostly very large files.

Anyone posting large files OR a reasonable number of smaller files would be
quite wasteful of resources if they did not use yEnc.

A 1 Gb file posted using yEnc is transported over the net to a multitude of news
servers as a ~ 1.03 Gb package. The same posted as UUE will use ~ 1.4 Gb.

By the same token, 1000 1 Mb jpg files will use ~ 1.03 Gb if posted in yEnc, ~
1.4 Gb if done in UUE.

The UUE posts use ~ 35% extra bandwidth over every internet link they traverse
and 35% extra storage on every new server where they are stored.

If everyone posted in yEnc, retention could increase by 35% over what it would
be if everyone posted in UUE.

Yenc is usful to post large files like movies ets..
Pictures in the jpg format can easily be resized to 1200 pix wide, and with
some compression there is no need to send them in Yenc.

So if you are offered a 35% discount on a $1000 dollar purchase you would accept
it, but would not bother about a 35% discount on a $100 purchase, even if you
made 10 of them?

This way everybody can enjoy them.

Not every one - only those with modern computers able to run that new-fangled
software that handles jpg. Perhaps everyone should post in bmp format so that
all those poor souls who still run DOS or Windows 3 paint can enjoy them.

It should not be required to be at the bleeding edge, but if your equipment and
software is way out of date, you miss out.

I used to use a 300 baud modem. If I still tried to use that, I would be unable
to enjoy most (or even any) of the posts. But I upgraded regularly to something
that was not too far out of date. The people who complain that their tired old
excuse for a newsreader will not handle yEnc can either just ignore the yEnc
posts or get a real newsreader.

Auldphart

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:08:38 GMT, Auld Phart
wrote:

used to use a 300 baud modem. If I still tried to use that, I would be unable
to enjoy most (or even any) of the posts. But I upgraded regularly to something
that was not too far out of date. The people who complain that their tired old
excuse for a newsreader will not handle yEnc can either just ignore the yEnc
posts or get a real newsreader.

Auldphart

All you need is agent.
Doesn't fit the Beetles words but should be "all you need is love".
Free agent, I hear, does yenc without you needing to know anything
about it.
Anybody tried it to see if it is true?
It that is so then there should be no reason to complain, unless
somebody just wants to complain for the fun of it.

wrote:

used to use a 300 baud modem. If I still tried to use that, I would be unable
to enjoy most (or even any) of the posts. But I upgraded regularly to something
that was not too far out of date. The people who complain that their tired old
excuse for a newsreader will not handle yEnc can either just ignore the yEnc
posts or get a real newsreader.

Auldphart

All you need is agent.
Doesn't fit the Beetles words but should be "all you need is love".
Free agent, I hear, does yenc without you needing to know anything
about it.
Anybody tried it to see if it is true?
It that is so then there should be no reason to complain, unless
somebody just wants to complain for the fun of it.

I guess free agent has gone the way of all free gifts.
Could not find any such bird.

wrote:

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:55:47 +0100, "Willem Van der Voort"
wrote:

schreef in bericht
. ..
[...]

Not necessarily ... I find that the faster machines & the
use of yEnc encourages people to post volumes more,
whether it be jpg's, mp3's, DVD's, whatever ...

Only problem is, the days haven't gotten any longer
to assimilate more & the eyeballs/ears still work at
the same speed ...

There are some ngs which are considered dump
groups ... my news service has cut the retention of
those ngs to 2-3 days, due to the sheer volume ...

You know, if you don't yEnc, people complain ...if
you do yEnc, people complain ... just maybe the
complaints should be directed at the software
companies who make the software we use ...

I started posting here because I had a request from
someone in wallpaper to post my maritime stuff ...not
being wallpaper size, I started in misc, then found I
had a request from someone to post some here, as
this person couldn't get misc ... so I posted here
what I knew I hadn't posted here before ... then I
get a lot of garbage about segments ...that sadly
brought in yEnc, which, as it turns out, had
absolutely nothing to do my posting in segments,
as at present, I have elected not to post in yEnc ...

But the 2 got tied together ...

Question ... are there still ngs which prohibit/frown
upon the use of yEnc? Anyone know?

I only subscribe to 7 binary groups and believe it or
not, one of them bans posting in yEnc. And another
believe it or not, the main reason was to conserve on
bandwidth. And before you start telling me that yEnc
conserves bandwidth, you're right, but not if you have
to post it again without the yEnc compression.
For those of you who use OE, there is a free yEnc
decoder that works seamlessly called yProxy. I've
never had any problems with it anyway.

wizofwas

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 16:24:52 GMT, joevan wrote:
I guess free agent has gone the way of all free gifts.
Could not find any such bird.

Forte doesn't offer the free version anymore, but there is
an archive site which has the last free version available for
download (7.7 MB self-installer). Of course, sinc this
download is not from the original company, you'd want
to virus-scan it before opening the installation file.
Using Forte's trial version for a month is probably
the way to go.

http://www.archive.org/details/ForteFreeAgent3.3
the page says:
"Forte free agent is a popular freeware news reader,
no longer available for download on the forte site.
version 3.3 is probably the latest free version."

Nothing seems to ever go away on the internet, things
just get hidden deeper in the net.

- Ruth

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 07:09:35 -0500, wrote:

[...]

I downloaded it from that archive page, scanned with Kaspersky and avg
and it was clean. I set it up and clicked to use it as free agent. I
will explore it further and see what it can do.

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:31:46 GMT, joevan
wrote:

[...]

It is free and it handles all files with no problems. Very nice. Now
as I said before "All ya need is Agent" Go get it, set it up and
enjoy.