Dave Patton

Default Convert Gif scans to BSB

"Geoffrey W. Schultz" wrote in
9.17:

MapTech won't give you the courtesy of replying. I found a program
(openev pick your OS) that will translate for you. Grab it now while
you still can.

-- Geoff

ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/gdal/openev/

The main remotesensing.org website is:
http://www.remotesensing.org/
OpenEV:
http://openev.sourceforge.net/
is a project that uses GDAL:
http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/
which is one of a number of projects
hosted at remotesensing.org:
http://www.remotesensing.org/projects/hosted.php

--
Dave Patton
Canadian Coordinator, the Degree Confluence Project

Derek Rowell

As I understand it OPENEV will only read BSB (.kap) charts, not write them.
Derek

"Geoffrey W. Schultz" wrote in message
9.17...
MapTech won't give you the courtesy of replying. I found a program

(openev
pick your OS) that will translate for you. Grab it now while you still
can.

-- Geoff

ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/gdal/openev/

Harry Krause wrote in news:bp6o3k$1lhuln$3@ID-
21096.news.uni-berlin.de:

Oliver Fleming wrote:

Hi,
I have scans of charts (GIF Packbits compressed) that I would
like to convert to BSB is there a program somewhere to do this?

I have a mixture of both and would like to convert to one
format.

Thanks
Oliver Fleming

Call MapTech. BSB is their baby since they bought out the company that
developed it.

Vic Fraenckel

| As I understand it OPENEV will only read BSB (.kap) charts, not |write
them.

I do not see BSB (.KAP) formats supported in OpenEV. You might want to check
out the official OpenEV site at:

http://openev.sourceforge.net/

Sourceforge is a repository for 100's of open source projects.

| pick your OS) that will translate for you. Grab it now while you still
| can.

Since OpenEV has been place in the public domain (read the reasoning at the
above URL) I don't think it is going to disappear very soon.

HTH

Vic

Victor Fraenckel - The Windman
vfraenc1 ATSIGN nycap DOT rr DOTcom
KC2GUI

Home of the WindReader Electronic Theodolite
Read the WIND

"Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long
and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
- Winston [Leonard Spencer] Churchill (1874 - 1965)

Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?
-Count Oxenstierna (ca 1620) to the young King Gustavus Adolphus

Vic Fraenckel

| As I understand it OPENEV will only read BSB (.kap) charts, not |write
them.

I do not see BSB (.KAP) formats supported in OpenEV. You might want to check
out the official OpenEV site at:

http://openev.sourceforge.net/

Sourceforge is a repository for 100's of open source projects.

| pick your OS) that will translate for you. Grab it now while you still
| can.

Since OpenEV has been place in the public domain (read the reasoning at the
above URL) I don't think it is going to disappear very soon.

HTH

Vic

Victor Fraenckel - The Windman
vfraenc1 ATSIGN nycap DOT rr DOTcom
KC2GUI

Home of the WindReader Electronic Theodolite
Read the WIND

"Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long
and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
- Winston [Leonard Spencer] Churchill (1874 - 1965)

Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?
-Count Oxenstierna (ca 1620) to the young King Gustavus Adolphus

Geoffrey W. Schultz

Despite what the documentation states, OpenEV will write BSB format files.
Or at least it will write the headers in BSB format, however the file data
isn't compressed and can't be read by any program other than itself.

I must admit that I was under the impression that it origonally had written
BSB format files and that functionality had been, or was about to be,
disabled due to a letter from a lawyer representing MapTech which claimed
copywrite infringement. Thus my statement of "get it now" while the
functionality was still there.

I did find a program from Caris which will write BSB format files,
unfortunately it's $9500....

-- Geoff

"Vic Fraenckel" wrote in
:

| As I understand it OPENEV will only read BSB (.kap) charts, not
| |write
them.

I do not see BSB (.KAP) formats supported in OpenEV. You might want to
check out the official OpenEV site at:

http://openev.sourceforge.net/

Sourceforge is a repository for 100's of open source projects.

| pick your OS) that will translate for you. Grab it now while you
| still can.

Since OpenEV has been place in the public domain (read the reasoning
at the above URL) I don't think it is going to disappear very soon.

HTH

Vic

Geoffrey W. Schultz