dmasso

Default 1966 Type 1 outdrive convert to alpha 1

I have an old 1966 starcraft and 2 years ago I put a new 2002 140 GMC motor
in it with some fanegeling. Well now the outdrive went toes up and I see an
alpha 1 brand new on ebay fot $1175. Does anyone know how hard it is to
match this to my Gimble. I don't want to buy a new gimble unless I have to.

Ron White

I don't know if it will fit or not, but when I was fooling around with
Mercrusiers, I bought an aftermarket shop manual, Clymer's, maybe? anyway
the manual gives a good history of the units and their changes. Just
recalling from memory, there may be a problem with some of the oldest units
accepting the Alpha. The type 1 isn't the oldest, I think, but I think the
Alpha will replace a type 1 The '66 may be prior to the type 1?
Good luck.

--
Ron White
Boat building web address is

JSE

You're right. The best thing to do is to rebuild the upper and put a A1
lower on it. You can do this cheaper than the conversion you're looking at,
and still end up with a quality outdrive. I got a new lower from a guy on
ebay for $250, and had the local wrench put new everything in the upper for
$500 and change. Have a shop do the rebuild because there are a lot of close
tolerances in there. The short of the story is a new outdrive for just over
8 bills, including tax. I happen to have a lower off a 1970 Aristocraft that
needs a little TLC, if you're interested.
Joe