gatt

Default MERC ALPHA ONE OUTDRIVE LEAK

I have a small amount of water (gallon every five minutes when not on step,
no leak when stepped) coming in somewhere in the middle of my outdrive. I
can't see exactly where...it doesn't appear to be around the outer gasket.

Manual says to check the U-joint bellows but doesn't say where that is.
Anybody have any ideas?

-c

Camilo

"bomar" wrote in message
Not a clue as to what you mean by on step....anyway...
pull the drive and check the bellows that the driveshaft passes through.

"on step" means "on plane"

"gatt" wrote in message

I have a small amount of water (gallon every five minutes when not on

step,
no leak when stepped) coming in somewhere in the middle of my outdrive.

can't see exactly where...it doesn't appear to be around the outer

gasket.

Manual says to check the U-joint bellows but doesn't say where that is.
Anybody have any ideas?

-c

JJ

If you turn the drive fully to one side with the drive lowered to the normal
running position you will see the drive shaft bellows on the top. Under
that is the exhaust bellows or tube depending on which you have. On one
side is a much smaller bellows that contains the shift shaft. You can
examine the drive shaft bellows to some extent from the side by tirning the
drive full one way and then the other. The exhaust tube or belloows can not
leak into the boat, but the shift cable one can. It is easier to check the
drive shaft bellows by pulling the drive from the gymbal. There is a
specific procedure for removing the drive. You should get a service manual
for mercs as there are a lot of detailed procedures that you need to follow
if you work on it. There are several different brands and all of them are
ok. Check your local boat store or the internet. Replacing the bellows is
a chore.

"gatt" wrote in message

I have a small amount of water (gallon every five minutes when not on

step,
no leak when stepped) coming in somewhere in the middle of my outdrive. I
can't see exactly where...it doesn't appear to be around the outer gasket.

Manual says to check the U-joint bellows but doesn't say where that is.
Anybody have any ideas?

-c

gatt

"JJ" wrote in message news:fLPsc.33412

There is a specific procedure for removing the drive. You should get a

service manual
for mercs as there are a lot of detailed procedures that you need to

follow
if you work on it. There are several different brands and all of them are
ok. Check your local boat store or the internet. Replacing the bellows

is
a chore.

Okay, thanks for that info. I have the shop manual but it wasn't too
specific about the leak. I don't have a very good means of removingt the
drive myself so if it's a chore, I'll just take it to the shop for an
estimate (Already have too much other crap to do to the boat and summer's
coming!)

Thanks for the advice!
-c

bomar

If you are mechanically inclined it's an easy job.
If not, it's a job for a mechanic.
While it's off have them change the shift cable bellows and exhaust bellows.
Have them check the lower shift cable, u joints (and/or grease them) and the
gimble bearing.
It's all open then.

"gatt" wrote in message

[...]

Bob D.

When it comes to replacing water inlet hose, exhaust bellows, driveshaft
bellows, or shift cable, removing the drive is probably the easiest of the
tasks ahead.

First, PUT THE DRIVE INTO FOWARD GEAR. I repeat... PUT THE DRIVE INTO
FOWARD GEAR! Remove the six nuts on the upper drive, two nuts for the
trim cylinders. Remove the trim cylinders and the drive should pull off
without too much trouble.

If the drive is difficult to remove you may have the driveshaft corroded
onto the gimbal bearing. If you remove the unit and the gimbal bearing
comes off on the driveshaft them both the driveshaft yoke and the gimbal
bearing should be replaced.

Installation of the drive unit requires the boat remain in forward gear.
Then turn the shift lever (looks like a brass shoe) counter clockwise,
while rotating the propshaft clockwise to lock. Remove your hand from the
shift lever, lift the unit up, and use the free hand to feed the
driveshaft into the gimbal bearing, while KEEPING A COCKWISE PRESSURE ON
THE PROPSHAFT with the other hand. Once the driveshaft gets through the
bearing it the unit should ALMOST be able to rest on the bellhousing
studs. Push the unit forward while turning the propshaft clockwise
eventually the splines of the propshaft will line up with the drive
coupler and the unit will slide on. Two people make this job easier, but
one can do this.

Bob Dimond

In article , "gatt"
wrote:

"JJ" wrote in message news:fLPsc.33412

There is a specific procedure for removing the drive. You should get a

service manual
for mercs as there are a lot of detailed procedures that you need to

follow
if you work on it. There are several different brands and all of them are
ok. Check your local boat store or the internet. Replacing the bellows

is
a chore.

Okay, thanks for that info. I have the shop manual but it wasn't too
specific about the leak. I don't have a very good means of removingt the
drive myself so if it's a chore, I'll just take it to the shop for an
estimate (Already have too much other crap to do to the boat and summer's
coming!)

Thanks for the advice!
-c

Can anyone answer a question about Mercruiser Alpha one outdrive water seals D.B. General 11 May 6th 04 12:19 AM
Can anyone answer a question I have about lube for a Mercruiser Alpha outdrive foot? D.B. General 1 April 22nd 04 10:30 PM
'87 Merc 3.0 intake leak? Dean General 2 April 21st 04 01:04 PM
Ad: $1,195 for Complete New Merc Alpha One Drives gpickren General 6 December 24th 03 09:16 PM
Using a propulse composite on a Alpha 1 outdrive Bob D. General 1 August 7th 03 02:44 AM