TStaron

Default Key West Offshore and Kneeldown Classes

AOF SANCTIONS ITS FIRST RACE
WITH OFFSHORE WORLDS

KEY WEST, FL, Oct. 17 -- The American Outboard Federation (AOF) is
pleased to sanction a milestone racing event and celebrity challenge
with the Offshore Worlds in Key West November 20th and 21st 2003, it
was announced by Tony Staron, president of AOF, and Lee Mills,
Chairman and CEO of the Key West Offshore Worlds.
"For over 30 years, the Key West Worlds has been the Indianapolis 500
of Offshore Powerboat Racing, and remains so today," said Mills.
"Nearly 30 years ago, Betty Cook, the first woman to ever win a
motor sport championship, won The Worlds in Key West. The names of
other great racers will never be forgotten because of their win in the
Key West Worlds, such as Tom Gentry, Al Copeland, Don Johnson, Bobby
Moore, Fabio Buzzi, Chuck Norris and Kurt Russell.
"We are proud to be carrying on this great offshore racing tradition,
where everyone has been invited to participate against the best in the
world. In keeping with our philosophy that we are one big fraternity
of powerboat racers we are thrilled that the AOF has accepted our
invitation to race during the week of our offshore championships.

"We have selected the Holiday Inn Beachside, on the Gulf side of Key
West, as the official venue for the Stock Outboard Races and Celebrity
Challenge. These racing events will be covered by the press corps and
be part of our nationally televised show, thus raising the awareness
of one of the oldest forms of powerboat racing. Racing times are set
for 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Thursday and Friday of Race Week."
According to Mills, the Celebrity Challenge was initiated by Jeff
Webb, former president of the Key West Chamber of Commerce when he
announced at a meeting of the Lodging Association" that he would"
welcome the chance to kick Charles Young's Aussie butt", the general
manager of the Hilton. In his typical manner, Charles responded by
saying "Let's get it on!" Now, city commissioner Tom Oosterhoudt has
challenged his fellow city commissioner Ed Scales to a similar
confrontation and states:
"I am a huge supporter of The Worlds each year in Key West and am
thrilled that Lee and Tony are bringing this very historic class of
race teams to our Southernmost City. We welcome them with open arms
and can promise they will have the time of their lives, racing and
partying in Key West."
Staron said:
"Lee Mills and I have been working on this truly historic event for
the last six months with a view of incorporating our stock/mod/pro
outboard participants, their families and fans with his offshore
teams, both as part of the race village at the Truman Annex and guests
at all their parties. Additionally we have arranged for special stock
outboard "Welcome to Key West" receptions hosted by the Radisson
Hotel."
Mills noted that promotional and marketing efforts have been kicked
off with Staron doing his first radio interview in Key West announcing
the Celebrity Challenge and the Thursday and Friday races at the
Holiday Inn Beachside. It has now become the talk of the town, Mills
said, with old rivalries surfacing in the form of one-on-one
challenges, and the community and the media look forward with great
interest in witnessing this category of racing which has not been seen
in Key West in recent years.
The stock/mod/pro outboard races will be fully insured as part of
Offshore Worlds' comprehensive festival insurance policy, said Mills,
which is handled by Rick Feltsen, of Hawk Race Consultants, and
medical and rescue support will be provided by Offshore Worlds'
professionally trained staff.
Contact:
Tony Staron
(561) 644-1200

or
or
Connie Payn
(319) 849-1022

For additional information please visit:
www.fla-keys.com;
www.KeyWestWorlds.com;
www.americanoutboardfederation.com

and view the official venue of the AOF races and Celebrity Challenge,
please visit:

www.seearoomkeywest.com/holidayinnbeachside.html

For special race team rates at our host hotels, contact:

The Holiday Inn Beachside (305) 2945-2571

The Quality Inn (305) 294-6681
Gus Bringard

"TStaron" wrote in message
om...
AOF SANCTIONS ITS FIRST RACE
WITH OFFSHORE WORLDS

KEY WEST, FL, Oct. 17 -- The American Outboard Federation (AOF) is
pleased to sanction a milestone racing event and celebrity challenge
with the Offshore Worlds in Key West November 20th and 21st 2003, it
was announced by Tony Staron, president of AOF, and Lee Mills,
Chairman and CEO of the Key West Offshore Worlds.
"For over 30 years, the Key West Worlds has been the Indianapolis 500
of Offshore Powerboat Racing, and remains so today," said Mills.

Is that why there isn't a "Worlds" this year ???

"Nearly 30 years ago, Betty Cook, the first woman to ever win a
motor sport championship, won The Worlds in Key West. The names of
other great racers will never be forgotten because of their win in the
Key West Worlds, such as Tom Gentry, Al Copeland, Don Johnson, Bobby
Moore, Fabio Buzzi, Chuck Norris and Kurt Russell.

Well, three racers out of six individuals anyway (batting 50%??)

"We are proud to be carrying on this great offshore racing tradition,
where everyone has been invited to participate against the best in the
world.

Except that there won't be any offshore boats in town...........

[...]

Pfffffffffffttt! Of which there are none................

both as part of the race village at the Truman Annex and guests
at all their parties. Additionally we have arranged for special stock
outboard "Welcome to Key West" receptions

Plural ? More than one *reception* ??

hosted by the Radisson
Hotel."

It has now become the talk of the town, Mills
said, with old rivalries surfacing in the form of one-on-one
challenges, and the community and the media look forward with great
interest in witnessing snip

Mills get run out of town.....................

The stock/mod/pro outboard races will be fully insured as part of
Offshore Worlds' comprehensive festival insurance policy, said Mills,
which is handled by Rick Feltsen

Be nice if you could spell Rick's name, though
However, event only has insurance if Mills pays the premium & since he
doesn't get any money from the city unless 40 offshore boats show up (which
won't happen), wonder if he's going to try and Bravo Seirra the city council
based on stock ob boats ?????

medical and rescue support will be provided by Offshore Worlds'
professionally trained staff.

What staff might that be, Hmmmmmmmm???

Flamenco 2 U

Is that why there isn't a "Worlds" this year ???

There is a "Worlds" this year, but thanks to Lee Mills, the UIM-APBA
Offshore Worlds will be held in Orange Beach Alabama, Not key West.

Gus makes some good, (and mostly accurate) points here. I feel bad for Tony
and the rest of the outboard gang that have been working on the Key West event.
I know that many of the offshore gang were really looking forward to meeting
the outboard/kneeldown group and learning more about their boats and racing
classes. Besides, I was looking forward to driving one of these machines.
They look like a blast!
I was hoping they would come to Orange beach with us, but I understand
agreements were made with Lee Mills. I just hope Mr. Mills doesn't "put it to
them", and give the offshore people a bad name.
If anything else, they will be in Key West, where they can't help but have
fun, especially if they end up becoming the Big event!
Good luck to you guys.

Mike J.

Yep and it would have been a chance to finally
get to meet "CONNIE" LLamafeeders MOM
Mike J.

Yankee Racing

Hey Mike J and Gordo.
I will miss you too!!! We are not going to Key West, either, however. Too
much politics and we cancelled our plans.
Would have nice to have been in Orange Beach, but just didn't work out either.
I think Tony knows what he is doing as far as the race goes in Key West. His
contracts were with Key West and not any particular individual. This is a
fantastic chance to bring our kneel down type of racing to this dream location,
and I hope that enough people show so Key West asks us back. Apparantly Tony
has found at least 3 more areas where we can race our boats on super protected
water. I just can't wait until the races in Key West next year because I will
certainly be there.
Gordo, we will get you in one of our boats yet!! That is a promise:
Llamafeeders MOM!
Connie
PS, Just tell me what I'm reading on Offshore Only isn't true! Us old ladies
need our fantasies!

Mike J.

Hi Connie: Sam(My Wife) and I have been in the Hi-Desert at our new
house for the last 10
days, The SoCal fires got over the hill and had
a lot of people worried.
Im not sure what you were reading on OSO,
Didn't see anything about me did you????
Gordo is another story, But hes a fireman and
all those guys are Hero's to Me/Sam and everyone else in SoCal.
OH Gordo Sam had the Kansas Fire Dept. "T"
shirt on while we we clearing brush and trimming trees.
Mike J.

Flamenco 2 U

Hiya Mom !!!!
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. I accidently left myself
logged in to OSO, and Mr. "Tanned Fat Looks Better" decided to take advantage
of the situation. Pretty much everyone knew it was a joke, except for a couple
that evidently thought it was for real and made some nasty remarks, so I
deleted it.
Oh well, it was all in fun.
As for the boats, I was hoping things would be as such that Tony would follow
us to Orange Beach, but I understand the situation. I do still want to drive
one of these things, so as soon as things warm up, we're in!!
Stay warm, and take care of yourselves,
Gordo
BK

Pretty much everyone knew it was a joke

It was a joke? ? ?

heh heh.....
Yankee Racing

Pretty much everyone knew it was a joke

It was a joke? ? ?

Good one Val!
Mike and Sam, are you all ok now? Sounds like fires are out and mudslides are
starting. Only mudslides that should be allowed are the drinking kind.
Gordo, are you winning in Orange Beach?
Connie
BK

Gordo, are you winning in Orange Beach?
Connie

There's a great pic of Gordo in Powerboat Magazine this month. (Got mine
yesterday) Check out the coverage of the LOTO Shootout and "One Vision" racing
- winner of his division.