Default Is it just me?

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:54:31 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Nov 11, 9:50 pm, Boater wrote:
wrote:
On Nov 11, 9:35 pm, Boater wrote:
wrote:
Or does everybody else have problems with electronics. This year, I
have replaced 3 hand held VHF units and am about to replace a
permanently mounted one that is only 2 yrs old. In addition, now my
ASUS micro-computer is failing to charge at all, unfortunately, I got
it from Amazon and it simply isnt worth shipping back. I have finally
decided to only buy locally because i can then take stuff back
easily. The latest handheld VHF from West refused to charge so I took
it back and had to wait 3 days for a replacement. This is really
aggravating.
Even my expensive binocs are having problems with the eye cups falling
off and I cannot find the right tiny screws to fasten em on. What is
going on here?
Payback, of course.

Hmm, ASUS says Made in China, shoulda known.

Yeah, Asus makes stuff all over the Far East and Pacific Rim. Have you
contacted Asus? It is possible the company will surprise you and stand
behind its product. It does happen. Apple replaced the keyboard on my
laptop with absolutely no hassle, and did it at its mall store while I
waited.

I'd have to find the receipt, not likely. I'm about ready to go back
to my old hand compass, paper charts, spring type knotlog with a towed
thing and sextant. My DANG Garmin VHF is acting flaky too.

It honestly DOES sound like you are the common element in all these
problems.

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 07:30:12 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:03:10 GMT, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 23:21:42 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:31:36 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Or does everybody else have problems with electronics. This year, I
have replaced 3 hand held VHF units and am about to replace a
permanently mounted one that is only 2 yrs old.

I just replaced a fixed mount ICOM VHF that was over 15 years old. I
would have bought another ICOM but they no longer make one with the
same form factor so ending up buying a Standard that was a better fit
in my panel. Standard and ICOM both make high quality radios. For
navigation gear and radar Furuno really stands alone at the top of the
quality heap. Go down to your local commercial fishing dock and take
a look at what they are using.

I found out something intersting the other day - did you know that
Yaesu and Standard Horizon are now the same company?

I didn't know that.

A company called Vertex has owned the Yaesu brand for some time but
they are now Vertex Standard. I'm not sure when that happened.

http://www.vertexstandard.com/

I knew that Yaesu had been absorbed by somebody, but wasn't aware of
who bought them.

It's nice to know that Yaesu is still going - I've got a lot of moeny
invested Yaesu radio gear. :)

BAR wrote:
Boater wrote:
BAR wrote:
Boater wrote:
wrote:
On Nov 11, 9:35 pm, Boater wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Do they only employ union labor?

Actually some of the techs at the Apple Store are fairly
knowledgeable. I doubt they'd hire a schlump like you.

Are they unionized?

Not that I know of, but they may well be in the future.

wrote:

On Nov 11, 9:50 pm, Boater wrote:
wrote:
On Nov 11, 9:35 pm, Boater wrote:
wrote:
[...]

problems.- Hide quoted text -

And you sound like you're a common low life.

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 20:52:29 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

A lot of the boats here are going to Raytheon stuff. Also high end. I have
a Furuno Sounder. Is great, but almost to good. Finds every piece of
detritus in the water column.

The older Raytheon radars are excellent, many still operating after 20
or more years. I think the jury is still out on the newer Raymarine
units.