Default Yo - anybody want these things?

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 08:51:24 -0500, Boater
wrote:

Steve wrote:
On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 20:53:37 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 15:35:17 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

8 tracks? I have a whole passel of 'em.
Cleaned them out of the mother-in-laws apartment in the spring.
I meant to catalogue and list them on Kijiji or Craigs List

What a piece of crap design.

The design was excellent, it was the market driven quality that gave
them a bad reputation. I have a genuine Lear 8 track cartridge that
has literally thousands of hours on it. It was elevator music in an
office.
There were also a lot of bad machines out there. The fact that radio
stations used "carts" that were the same basic design for decades
supports the strength of the design.

Radio station carts were only the length of the commercial, 30, 60
seconds, whatever. They didn't have to have a rewind. Have you ever
tried to rewind an 8-track to get to some part of a song you like
again, or to get to the song before the one you're listening to? Also,
you have a choice of either having a blank spot at the end of a song
before the next one waiting for the end of the tape for the track to
change *or* it would just change tracks in the middle of a song.
Usually the latter. And I won't even talk about jams.

What a piece of crap design. And it's the design, not the equipment.
It's fine for carts. Crap for consumer audio media. Casette tape was
a huge improvement.

Steve

Was everything in life that tough for you, Steve?

What a whiner.

Not at all. As I said, casette tapes were much better and served me
very well for decades. Huge improvement over 8-track.

Steve

wrote:

[...]

I think cost was the real reason 8 track died (a decent blank 8 track
cost about 3 times what a cassette cost) but that is just my opinion.
I did have 2 recorders and made my own. If I used a good cartridge
they would last forever and were pretty much indestructible. Cheap
cartridges might not last a week.
I guess this is just a "Ginger/Maryanne" discussion.
There is no right answer, only opinion.

I guess. But I think if you talk to people who were audiophiles in
that era, you'd find you're one of the only ones who preferred 8-track
to casette. lol

I even used casettes on my boat. Couldn't do that very long with an
8-track. The humidity would cause the tape to jam because it all had
to slide past eachother instead of being wound on a hub.

Steve
MMC MMC is offline

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

"Don White" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

"Tom Francis - SWSports" wrote in
message ...
I just found some casette tapes - I got six Maxell XL90 minute and
five TDK D 60 minute.

Anybody want 'em? If not, I'm going to just chuck 'em.

Tell us when you get to the 8 tracks.

8 tracks? I have a whole passel of 'em.
Cleaned them out of the mother-in-laws apartment in the spring.
I meant to catalogue and list them on Kijiji or Craigs List

What a piece of crap design.

But much easier to mount in my '53 baby-**** yellow International pickup
than a reel to reel!

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:36:59 -0500, "mmc" wrote:

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
om...

"Don White" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

"Tom Francis - SWSports" wrote in
message ...
I just found some casette tapes - I got six Maxell XL90 minute and
five TDK D 60 minute.

Anybody want 'em? If not, I'm going to just chuck 'em.

Tell us when you get to the 8 tracks.

8 tracks? I have a whole passel of 'em.
Cleaned them out of the mother-in-laws apartment in the spring.
I meant to catalogue and list them on Kijiji or Craigs List

What a piece of crap design.

But much easier to mount in my '53 baby-**** yellow International pickup
than a reel to reel!

OH OH!! Must be an R series? Couldn't be an L - well, maybe.

PICTURES!! PICTURES!!

Guy here in town has a yellow '52 R-110 with the driver's side spare
tire mount.

Wish I still had my '50 L-110 - that was a great pickup. Should have
never sold it.

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
news:5NednYTOOKsv7orUnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@earthlink. com...

"Don White" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe this is the one?
http://www.classyauto.com/v/Internat...Calendar/65873

I think it was an International Pickup, that somebody either abandoned, or
was too embarrassed to been seen driving, in the storage yard of a business
I bought. Cab was nice looking and then the company put a pickup bed that
was a square box that stuck out a couple inches from the cab width. Was
factory, but the designer had no taste in making the bed conform to the
truck look. Some body took it off our hands for free.

a few things paddleORdye Whitewater 2 September 7th 05 01:43 PM
Things you just can't do without! [email protected] General 3 July 29th 04 03:14 PM